New fence for the veg patch

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
kitla
Legendary Laner

New fence for the veg patch

Post by kitla »

We have a 5m x 3m veg patch edged with sleepers in the garden. I was delighted when dh finally gave up on the ugly 8' steel framed, plastic mesh covered cage that was "covering" it. It's been thoroughly wind beaten & snow battered & had become an embarrassing eyesore - now its gone )c( . ( )c( from the next door neighbour too)
Still need to keep the chickens out for part of the year though, so I've ordered some cheap broomhandles to stick in the holes where the poles were & several lengths of bamboo screening to tie on to them. It should do as a temporary fence that can come down & stash away at the end of the season. That's the theory anyway!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: New fence for the veg patch

Post by Gwenoakes »

Sounds like a good idea. It's nice to please the neighbours as well. )t'
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I made panels out of 2x4 and leftover chicken wire to keep my lot out - I take them down in the autumn once everything's finished and put them back up again when I've started planting out. It works well. Bamboo screening is a good idea though )t'
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

tbh we had 2 goes at it. The first fence we put on top of the wood sleepers around the veg patch, of course it flopped & blew all over the place! Doh! Sensible plan B was to put it on the ground leaning up against the sleepers, much better! It's working well so far, gives a bit of shade to the veg too & looks quite nice.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant