How far do raspberry roots go

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Mo
Legendary Laner

How far do raspberry roots go

Post by Mo »

I planted raspberry canes 3 yrs ago in a narrow bed (less than a foot wide) with a path 1ft wide next to it.
They didn't do much the first year but last year a lot of canes came up in the veg plot the other side of the path. I dug them up and gave them away, and have been weeding the veg plot of various roots (grass, nettle, raspberry??? argh!). Maybe I should have left the roots and abandoned that plot to the nasturtiums that keep trying to swamp it (OH put a few seeds in among the runner beans where the rasps are now and they keep coming back).

)hlp> )hlp> )hlp> What do I do now.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: How far do raspberry roots go

Post by lancashire lass »

I cleared my raspberry bed in 2014 to make way for the polytunnel .... and they are still coming up everywhere bar the original bed they were in. So yes, they do travel once established.

Nasturtiums - oh yes, been there on the allotment. To be fair, if you pull them up before they flower, it is quite possible to clear it in a season as they are annual so it's only the seeds that are germinating year after year that let them take over.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: How far do raspberry roots go

Post by Mo »

I'm wondering if, by keeping the veg plot, I'm limiting how well the rasps can do. They seem OKish but not marvellous. On the N side of the row there is a very high holly (hedge but only cut back not topped. Then rasps. Then potatoes this year. And about 10' from the rasps a couple of self-seeded broom. Then the next bit of veg plot is very pretty with forget-me-nots that delay weeding.
As you can tell I'm not an organised /organising gardener.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire