what plants to grow in veg trugs?

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Taunton52
Learner Laner

what plants to grow in veg trugs?

Post by Taunton52 »

I've got a couple of veg trugs and would love to know what veg other people grow in them.

I'm really boring and grow cauliflowers, cabbage and broccoli. I'd be really grateful for advice in what other veg people grow successfully in trugs
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: what plants to grow in veg trugs?

Post by lancashire lass »

I confess I had to google veg trug - basically it is a trough planter on legs. If you can successfully grow brassicas (cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli etc) then you can grow most veg in them. I'd be tempted to grow carrots with maybe onions, garlic. Or peas, or herbs. Outdoor tomatoes. To be honest, you can grow just about anything. Perhaps not sweetcorn (I'm thinking not enough room and they can grow tall so may get knocked over by wind) or trailing squash though you could try mini (small fruit like gem squash) versions that trail over instead and non-trailing varieties (they do grow into big plants) How about strawberries?
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I can't better LL's reply. Basically anything that isn't very deep rooted or very tall. )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

To add to LLs excellent advice, you could easily grow salad crops in there - loose leaf all types, herbs of course and even radishes and beetroot. You could theme each trug i.e. Italian (lollo Rosso lettuce, basil, tomatoes, rocket), Chinese (pak choi, Chinese lettuce, spring onions, beans) - you get the idea
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Taunton52
Learner Laner

Post by Taunton52 »

Thank you I'm certainly going to try beetroot and maybe spring onions and other salad veg. I must admit I hadn't considered strawberries but will give them a try.