Apples, apples, apples

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Dorrens daughter
Lively Laner

Apples, apples, apples

Post by Dorrens daughter »

Today I spent an hour on the family allotment picking eating apples I gathered two large boxes which, when I get transport will be delivered to the local food bank on Monday. Meanwhile there's still loads more left on the trees and I've yet to start on the pear trees.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Apples, apples, apples

Post by Mo »

Looking online at our local foodbanks, they only want tinned and packet food, not fresh.
I've spent a lot of time this week picking and sorting, last week the imperfect apples were given away at one dance club. The club I go to on a Monday has a charity bring and buy. Most of the year it's books, but this week I took apples and damsons and came home with runner beans and tomatoes. Then more picking before choir yesterday, made £25 for choir funds (concerts are expensive if we have professional musicians and soloists).
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
manda

Post by manda »

It's a good idea...there was a guy in Auckland who started off a free food stand outside his house...people can take what they need - they don't have to give back - the point of starting it was home grown fruit and veggies didn't go to waste....just a way of paying it forward.

Last I heard there were 21 around the country....nice eh? )like(
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Dorrens daughter
Lively Laner

Our local food bank usually only accepts tins and so on, however I made enquires and they will take the apples and leave them in the main seating area for clients to help themselves. Demand for food has been so high these school holidays that I get the impression they need all the help they can get. I'll drop them off on Monday so that they will have the whole week to get rid of them, after all "every little helps" and but for the grace of (add your chosen deity here) go I.
Yes Manda spread the love. )like(
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

)like(
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Manda, I had a stall on the verge at the end of the lane for a while IAO Oxfam. Made quite a bit of money in dribs & drabs, though towards the end I suspected cash was being stolen before I picked it up (leaves a nasty taste if some are giving and others taking) then the old broken tea trolley went too, so I stopped.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Very good idea if the food banks will take them. )t'
We have no apple trees since moving and I have to say I miss them, although a chap not far from us sells his Bramleys for 50p a kg, so I have been buying them to make pies/crumbles etc.
Dorrens daughter
Lively Laner

Someone from the food bank collected the apples this morning and with any luck a bit of fresh fruit will be a welcome addition to the usual food packages. I'm just pleased that they're not going to waste as there's a lot more where they came from. We're all off to Bulgaria this week end but the lads will be able to harvest more when they return after a week, while I stay on to close the house up for the winter.