Just picked grapes

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Just picked grapes

Post by albertajune »

We had a lovely grape vine that went completely over a sitting area and gave lovely shade. However as I am now an oldie I decided that climbing a ladder to cut back was no longer an option and had it removed. A bit of root must have been left in the ground and the vine started growing last year. I decided to keep it and started to train it espalier fashion.
I did notice a few bunches of grapes on it this year and have just been out to cut them off, thinking that maybe I could make a little grape juice for breakfast. To my amazement I harvested over 5g of black grapes. After rummaging around I have found a demi john an airlock and other bits so am going to get the grapes into a container and hopefully will eventually will have a few bottles of lovely red wine. All so unexpected. :-D
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: Just picked grapes

Post by Gwenoakes »

I am not keen on red wine, June, but I am sure you will enjoy. )like(
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

What a lovely surprise June. I am eating grapes - green ones from Al...i! Enjoy your wine when it is ready.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Gwenoakes wrote:I am not keen on red wine, June, but I am sure you will enjoy. )like(

I actually like rose so will be aiming to make that. Read how to.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

What do they taste like as grapes?
Someone brought some bunches of tiny black grapes to dance club a few weeks ago. She said that usually they don't taste sweet so she doesn't bother to pick them, but this year, with all the sun they were really nice.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

These are quite sweet but a little bit more acidic than the shop bought ones. Roy always enjoyed them on his cereal in the mornings and I always made wine with the rest. I'm not sure what mine are called but it does depend on the grape how sweet they are.
Dorrens daughter
Lively Laner

Post by Dorrens daughter »

We have loads of grape vines at our Bulgarian house both green and black but unfortunately the weather there was very wet during the summer so we found that most of the harvest had rotted on the vine before it ripened however a few survived only to be eaten by the family.