Can I....

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Can I....

Post by Freeranger »

...relocate snowdrops and flag iris now if I take enough soil with them?

The snowdrops are only just in flower and the iris leaves have started shooting.

I know I'm supposed to wait til the drops are going over, and the iris are supposed to be divided after flowering. It's just that I'm starting to get stuck in to a long neglected garden that needs some landscaping - beautiful though they are they're in the way. I can move the into new spots that I think will suit them well, and I don't want to lose them by being too brutal.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Can I....

Post by Mo »

I'm just guessing, but I don't see why not. They won't look as good this year but I don't see why they'd die.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

On my walk yesterday I passed a house where 50 - 100 clumps of snowdrops had been planted on the grass verge and in a newly dug bed in front of the hedge. Still had flower on (looking a bit tatty). They seemed to be doing OK.
Have you moved yours?
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

We did a major 're-jig' in the garden last week end and moved loads of things about (including snow drops) and everything seems to be surviving )t'
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I've noticed that the rooted layer of hypericum that we found when grandson was cutting back the plant encroaching on the path last week, has perked up after transplanting. It has such lovely yellow flower that I haven't the heart to cut it back in summer, so anyone who walks along that path when it's rained gets wet. If this one gets established I'll dig the other out (bet I won't be able to get rid of all of it easily!)
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

I've just realised this is in the wrong section - sorry.

No, I haven't moved them yet, Mo - I bottled out, but as a few people think it's OK (thanks all) I may well do it over the weekend as it would be good for them to spread naturally in their new spot when they go over. It's under a tree in nice crumbly soil next to some well-established clumps, so I think they'll be OK

I've been dithering over the flag iris in particular because the new spot is quite wet compared to the existing one, and I was hesitant about moving it before full-on spring. I's quite cold again here.....In theory, it should be OK as it's a marsh plant, but I don't want to stress it with a change of conditions and cold weather together. Maybe do a bit at a time and see how it gets on, like the hypericum.

It's tempting to get a bit carried away when we have a spell of warm weather, but I have to remind myself that last year we still had horrendous snows to come by this stage.