Apple Juice

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Apple Juice

Post by KathJ »

We'll shortly be coming to the time we have an abundance of apples (hopefully). The past two seasons we've had to just let a lot go to waste as we've been too busy with the house and garden to do anything with them. This year we'd like to make use of them by maybe making apple juice ( cider would be good too but maybe a bit more time consuming!). Does anyone have any tips for making apple juice, do we need a press of some sort? Do we need to add anything else? Any other suggestions for a 'quick' process would be appreciated )t'
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Re: Apple Juice

Post by Freeranger »

You really do need a press for this. They can be hired, or bought quite cheaply on e.g. fleabay/glumtree , but you could also cobble one together just to try it - this is what we did.
Step one is to wash, chop and mash the clean apples. Sterile is safest, but otherwise a bit of natural mould helps cider production. We chopped ours then put them thro' a food processor. Could use bucket and some attachment on a drill? Needs to be done fairly quickly or goes brown (mallic acid oxidises and is more when cells burst rather than cut). Pick single flavour or mix - works best if a bit acidic-tasting.
Then into something to stop the apple skin and pulp getting into the juice - we used muslin, but improvise.
We then put the muslin onto a piece of MDF tilted sharply towards a collection bucket. TIP - better with a channel to be more directional, otherwise it can get pretty messy pretty quickly. If not, put a tray under. TIP if you home-brew, a mashing bin in perfect.
We put another board on top then tightened with large G clamps. TIP start gently so you can 'aim' the flow better, and tighten to keep the flow going.
When diinishing returns, use apple for compost/wine/cooking. Siphon into containers or just dip containers (messy).
Just juice? 2l plastic bottles, preferably brown or green - and freeze until wanted. Cider? Add yeast and keep covered, preferably using home brew kit with air lock. When no longer bubbling, siphon (definitely) into 2l plastic bottles and store in dark, cool area.
This is what we did. We paid attention to basic hygiene, but others may be revolted. MDF does have chemical resin, so again, this is what we did not what we recommend.
TIP keep all the kit close together. We also spent ages cleaning our sticky kitchen!
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

p.s. Don't take too long over the pressing because of browning for same reasons as chopping.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

The small barrel press costs over £100, but the apples need to be chopped really small first. The cheap option bucket type chopper is ineffiecient, the other sort is expensive.
I have used a borrowed press and found it messy, time-consuming and gives very little juice compared to the amount of apples. Then you have to store it which uses freezer space.
By next attempt was when someone offered a juicer on Freecycle. Again the apples needed to be chopped small, and while it might be OK for making 1 glass of morning orange juice it was impractical for quantities. Takes ages to clean and after the first jug of juice it needs cleaning or the juice becomes full of brown bits. And the kitchen gets all sticky
So I just give my surplus away, or sell for charity now.
There are lots of apple presses on Amazon 2nd hand - wonder why??!!!
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

One year my daughters inlaws bought a barrel press and we had several sessions using my apples. I took home some of the juice, they made cider with some. The sparkling cider was a hazard - we had to redecorate before we could get the splashes off the ceiling!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I have also offered my apple as Pick Your Own on Freecycle, meet interesting people that way. Cider-makers, and someone who wanted to make apple juice for a group of recovering alcoholics. A mum who brought her son to climb the trees, another with a baby asleep in a carry-seat. A pig-keeper. 3 cyclist on a country ride. A botanist on her way back from studying a pond.
I agree that it's not good to waste them, but for the past few years I've been less obsessed about picking up and using every windfall and have been rewarded by flocks of thrushes, fieldfares etc in winter.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I'm afraid that for me making apple juice seems a bit time consuming and messy. I just stick to chutney and jam with apples that I have given to me. Great that you are leaving the windfalls for the wildlife. Good luck on what ever you do. )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Oh dear, it does sound to be a bit of a waste of time and effort :oops: Maybe I'll just stick to stewing some and trying to store some in the garage if we can stop the mice getting in and taking a nibble yike* Thanks for your replies anyway!
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I'm lucky enough to have a porch on the kitchen. Used to store apples in the garage for years with no problem, but one year the mice found them and seemed to pass the knowledge to the next generations.
I use the fridge for pears, should think the salad draw might be right for a few apples.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Kath I don't think you should be put off giving it a go.
I had a quick look at UTuba and found some videos of people using barrel presses - why not give them a watch and see what you think? I've seen others using a barrel press who were quite quick and efficient with it, but agree with Mo it's time-consuming at first until you can get into a system. It's the sort of thing kids would enjoy doing, so borrow small relatives or friends, perhaps?
I thought they could be much more efficient than they were on video - most women who've cooked for families would be way quicker. My OH and I were in industry so in the end had a little production line going. I think the longest bit for us was cleaning up after!
The apple juice doesn't need to be in the freezer btw - if you've sterilised everything there's no need and you can just keep it somewhere dark and cool. Obvs the freezer extends the life a bit.
I think the amount of juice depends on the variety to an extent, and how hard you press.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Some community groups have apple pressing days orpresses for hire

It's worth trying it first before spending a lot to set yourself up.