Back in the garden

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Back in the garden

Post by billnorfolk »

Hi everyone , due to the present climate of being in lockdown for 13 weeks I thought it was time to get back to some serious veggie growing. 2015 was the last time as a new hobby swooned me away from the garden, due to the restrictions in place now I can no longer pursue that hobby so it is back to the garden. Will only be growing at about half the scale I was before and sadly no chickens. Up to now got early and late spuds planted, parsnips are in, 3 rows of carrots this morning, 6 tomato plants are in the greenhouse with a little heat at night. Still had all my seeds dated best before 2016 did a little experiment with just 2 or 3 seeds in small pots ,cabbage, lettuce, leeks and parsnips, all germinated apart from the parsnips which need usually new seeds anyway. Hoping everybody is well and keeping themselves safe. Will be back from time to time with progress lot slower than it used to be {rofwl}
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Re: Back in the garden

Post by Freeranger »

)wav( )wav( )wav(
Hi Bill - how lovely to see you again! I'd wondered how you were doing and have missed your sage advice.
My gardening efforts have been very sporadic for a variety of reasons, so I'm still a very unconfident newbie but keen to learn and am trying much harder this year when I can be assured of being at home.
The lockdown started before I could buy new seeds. OH managed to get a few packets from the supermarket, but I've had to go back to my tin of 'leavings', some of which probably go back further than 2016. I have some interesting old varieties of peas and beans in particular, which I have high hopes for, but the rest will be a bit hit and miss. I started on Monday, so a little to early for progress yet (except for one successful bean!).
I look forward to hearing more tales from your garden.
wendy

Post by wendy »

)wav(
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Hi Freeranger nice to be back it has been a while. I am currently only doing half the garden as don't have the get up and go I once had, think it got up and went a while ago. All my seeds are from 2015 2016 ,as like you only decided to have a go after lock down, I did order some seeds but 3 weeks later still haven't arrived apart from Parsnips I ordered separately. I just tried a few lettuce, cabbage, and leeks, from the old seeds all have come through so went ahead and sown some proper. Try a few peas on damp kitchen roll in a sealed plastic container in the airing cupboard if ok should germinate in a few days then pop them into there growing area handle gently so nothing growing gets broken. Just doing a few bits but will be doing my favourite Sweetcorn later in a similar way I said to do your peas. We are having to stay home for 12 weeks so got lots of time to do things . Stay safe.

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

)wav( )wav( )wav(

Hi Wendy hope you keeping well .

Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

)wav(
Welcome back, Bill I look forward to your advice.
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

If I can offer help to anyone Gwenoakes will be happy to . Think some home grown will benefit us all and maybe help our friends if fresh veg should get scarce later in the summer. Hope you are well and keeping safe.

Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Hello Bill

When Ted died I was not going to do any gardening, apart from keeping the flower beds half decent, and dragging all the pots out of the greenhouse where they had wintered. I also binned opened packets of seeds yike* Big mistake, but I didn't expect all this turmoi, and difficulty in obtaining seedsl.

I bought tomato seeds, the plants are doing well on the window sill in the front room (faces south), and I am watering them daily. My son bought me gro bags for my birthday, so just waiting to plant them up in the greenhouse. At present I have chrysanths in there, but they will be going into the cold frame soon to make room for the toms.

Last week my sweetcorn seeds arrived, and they are in two different kinds of containers. One lot in the floppy plastic planters, which I have inherited, the other lot as per you tube, in a margarine container on wet kitchen roll. So it will be interesting to see what develops.

I have been unsuccessful in obtaining pale blue lobelia seeds, which Ted grew each year, until today, that is, when one of my sons suggested using a seed company. I used Suttons, and have ordered some, only to find out that they will take up to three weeks to arrive! We always had several seed catalogues, but I had cancelled them all.

The daffs and narcissi have all been dead headed, just a few still flowering.

So all the best to your gardening.
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Spreckly wrote:Hello Bill

When Ted died I was not going to do any gardening, apart from keeping the flower beds half decent, and dragging all the pots out of the greenhouse where they had wintered. I also binned opened packets of seeds yike* Big mistake, but I didn't expect all this turmoi, and difficulty in obtaining seedsl.

I bought tomato seeds, the plants are doing well on the window sill in the front room (faces south), and I am watering them daily. My son bought me gro bags for my birthday, so just waiting to plant them up in the greenhouse. At present I have chrysanths in there, but they will be going into the cold frame soon to make room for the toms.

Last week my sweetcorn seeds arrived, and they are in two different kinds of containers. One lot in the floppy plastic planters, which I have inherited, the other lot as per you tube, in a margarine container on wet kitchen roll. So it will be interesting to see what develops.

I have been unsuccessful in obtaining pale blue lobelia seeds, which Ted grew each year, until today, that is, when one of my sons suggested using a seed company. I used Suttons, and have ordered some, only to find out that they will take up to three weeks to arrive! We always had several seed catalogues, but I had cancelled them all.

The daffs and narcissi have all been dead headed, just a few still flowering.

So all the best to your gardening.

Hi Spreckly sorry to hear about Ted ,I know he loved his garden and will be pleased to know you are going to give it a go. I will admit that 5 years has made some difference to the way I work and the speed it seems to take 4 or5 times longer now and 10 times longer than 10 years ago but nice and easy, while in lock down we have all the time we need so no hurry spend a lot of time just soaking up the peace and quiet. I kept my seeds in an old fridge I have just to put an odd can of lager in )w( kept them sealed in an airtight container . The ones I have planted seem to have all come through ,noticed 2 different lots of Cabbage poking through this morning and some lettuce .Bought 6 Tomato plants from a young lady in the village who was kind enough to deliver and sold me several bags of compost, seems everyone is going out of there way to help us older people, which I find very uplifting, they spent about 3 weeks on the window sill kept turning ,and now in the greenhouse in there pots and doing very well, got a small stove if it seems to cold .Got to find out if pictures can still be posted as don't use Photo bucket anymore. Take care stay safe will talk later. Don't put them sweet corn out to early.

Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

billnorfolk wrote: I will admit that 5 years has made some difference to the way I work and the speed it seems to take 4 or5 times longer now and 10 times longer than 10 years ago

Doesn't it just! When you are young even 1 year seems to make all the difference between yourself and others. Then as an adult a few decades are nothing. But once past 70 the years really count again. Reminds me of Pineapple Poll in the Bab Ballads.
"...It's strange to think that I should ever have loved young men,
But I'm speaking of ten years past—I was barely sixty then;"
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Mo wrote:
billnorfolk wrote: I will admit that 5 years has made some difference to the way I work and the speed it seems to take 4 or5 times longer now and 10 times longer than 10 years ago

Doesn't it just! When you are young even 1 year seems to make all the difference between yourself and others. Then as an adult a few decades are nothing. But once past 70 the years really count again. Reminds me of Pineapple Poll in the Bab Ballads.
"...It's strange to think that I should ever have loved young men,
But I'm speaking of ten years past—I was barely sixty then;"

It is true Mo age certainly takes it toll on your ability to do things you wouldn't have thought twice about a few years ago. It was one of the reasons I packed up gardening and spent more time with my other hobby finding both hard work now though . Can't do the other one because of the lockdown so it's back to the garden. Hope you keeping well.

Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Yes thank you.
My hobbies are folk dance and music. One of the dance clubs I go to has quite a few people my age so we mostly 'dance' with a musical walk; you'd hardly think we are doing the same dances that were danced with fancy, bouncy steps in Jane Austen's time by young ladies looking for husbands. Up till 5 or so years ago I could hop-step through several turns of a dance, now it's limited to short bursts. Just hoping this shut down won't leave me even less fit.
I can't sing with the choir but can practise instruments at home (if my self discipline is awake and can tear me away from computer games).
Gardening in short bursts.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Mo wrote:Yes thank you.
My hobbies are folk dance and music. One of the dance clubs I go to has quite a few people my age so we mostly 'dance' with a musical walk; you'd hardly think we are doing the same dances that were danced with fancy, bouncy steps in Jane Austen's time by young ladies looking for husbands. Up till 5 or so years ago I could hop-step through several turns of a dance, now it's limited to short bursts. Just hoping this shut down won't leave me even less fit.
I can't sing with the choir but can practise instruments at home (if my self discipline is awake and can tear me away from computer games).
Gardening in short bursts.

I just love to hear and see Irish dancing and love music having played rhythm guitar and keyboard in my time but rarely touch either now. It is so easy to sit and play games or spend time on social media just have to give yourself a push some times. Been very cold in Norfolk today so gardening has had a rest ,probably back out tomorrow though for a couple of hours.