Using the greenhouse border in winter

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
PK
Lively Laner

Using the greenhouse border in winter

Post by PK »

Each winter I grow lettuce, pak choi and Chinese cabbage in the greenhouse border. They grow surprisingly well despite the cold and keep us in fresh leafy greens through to March when they finally run out of steam. I usually pick a few leaves at a time to allow the plants to keep going. I have just planted out some plants that I sowed a few weeks ago. The weather is still quite mild so there might still be time to sow now if you haven't already. Chinese leafy vegetables germinate very quickly in my experience. It makes good use of the greenhouse which would otherwise be unused during the winter months.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Using the greenhouse border in winter

Post by KarenE »

I’m tempted to try lettuce in there - I’ve still got tomatoes & cucumbers in for now - but it becomes the chickens’ Winter Palace so the lettuce wouldn’t make it! I do have some lettuce in pots (out of beak reach) so this’ll be an interesting experiment
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
PK
Lively Laner

Post by PK »

I'm sure your lettuce in pots will do well with the protection a greenhouse provides. I usually make a decision that all the tomato plants and cumber plants have to go to clear the space ready. The cucumbers are usually spent by then but there still might be some green tomatoes left.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

KarenE wrote: 28 Oct 2022, 00:29 .... (out of beak reach)
Are you sure?
When my children were young breakables were move higher and higher. Having seen the way hens jump i think you might need sky-hooks.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

My greenhouse is full of seedlings.chrysanths, hanging and wall baskets, and lilies.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Definitely out of beak range Mo, they are on quite high up shelves. But all a bit moot, as they are wilting in their pots - perhaps too chilly already for lettuces >coc< toms and cuces have all been cleared now.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper