Have you started stocking up for ... Christmas?

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Have you started stocking up for ... Christmas?

Post by lancashire lass »

With the news of possible "panic buying", have you started putting stuff in the shopping trolley already (whether as a result of the news or going about your normal pre-Christmas shopping / preparations) or will you be leaving it to the last minute?

I have to confess I'm probably about 2 weeks ahead of my normal pre-Christmas food shop - after my October salary goes into the bank account (3rd week in the month), I usually start adding one or two things to the trolley every week for the cupboard and freezer so that it's not all last minute and I can avoid the crowded supermarkets. I'm still holding out for the turkey when they become available, but just in case it doesn't go to plan, I've got a couple of alternate substitutes in the freezer.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Re: Have you started stocking up for ... Christmas?

Post by Meanqueen »

I have a total ban on Christmas, so I have not and will not.
)x3( >el< >hum< .santa.

ilona
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Meanqueen wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 09:33 I have a total ban on Christmas, so I have not and will not.
)x3( >el< >hum< .santa.

ilona
fair comment - that's your prerogative. The topic title specified Christmas with reference for those who might be considering the options available in the coming weeks but I guess no-one is interested or gives a toss anymore on DTL
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

[/quote]

fair comment - that's your prerogative. The topic title specified Christmas with reference for those who might be considering the options available in the coming weeks but I guess no-one is interested or gives a toss anymore on DTL
[/quote]

I didn't see any exclusions in the question.

Let me help you with the title.

If you are celebrating Christmas, have you started stocking up?

ilona
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Meanqueen wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 09:33 I have a total ban on Christmas, so I have not and will not.
ilona
Me too, except when the Christmas biscuits are on offer I buy a few boxes for my daughters & myself.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
tonyd
Lively Laner

Post by tonyd »

We had a discussion the other night with the daughter and her partner who will be joining us for Christmas and it was decided that no one wanted shop brought cakes, mince pies etc so we are going to home bake as much as we can.
No one is keen on turkey except me so its beef for dinner and that along with a big gammon is already on order from the supplier.
None of us drink (I know we are boring) so we will stock up on our favourite soft drinks and plenty of Yorkshire tea bags.
So apart from a selection of biscuits, chocolate cream etc that we buy near to the time as possible (because if its here I will eat it :-D ) we intend to buy as little as possible but still eat drink and be merry. But I bet we still spend more than we intended to.

TonyD
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I have a turkey breast, cranberry sauce and Christmas pud already in case I am unable to go to family this year. Made my cake a few weeks since, and dosing it with rum!
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

)x3( >el< >hum< .santa.

ilona
I know where you are coming from - it's just a commercial racket these days.
Michael
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

tonyd wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 09:24 None of us drink (I know we are boring) so we will stock up on ....... plenty of Yorkshire tea bags.

TonyD
Like your style - love a good cuppa myself.
Michael
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

If everything goes to plan, we will be in Thailand, so no need to stock up in UK. We'll take an Xmas pudding as Wendy makes a mean Xmas cake ice cream (too hot for pud and custard) but we don't need to stock up in Thailand itself.
Michael
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Christmas cake ice cream sounds interesting Michael!