Lard.

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Orfy
Legendary Laner

Lard.

Post by Orfy »

I know it's not exactly a health food but it can be soooooo good.

A local polish shop sells it with pork bits in and garlic to use as a spread on toast and bread.
I've tried a bit but will not use it for that purpose for obvious reasons. I do not need extra fat in my diet.

But I do use it from time to time for cooking with.

At present pork is such good value and if cooked correctly (Slowly) can be quite healthy due to the fact the fat melts out.

I always save it. Because my recipes tend to be spice and use plenty of herbs the lard I collect has wonderful colours and flavours.

The pot at the end of the rainbow is that inevitably you usually get a little meat juices at the bottom of the dish which is perfectly preserved by the covering of fat and it adds a wonderfull flavour to most dishes.
Sliced potatoes and onions suate'd in a little lard sprinkled with a little fresh thyme and finished with a little pork stock is fabulous.

Allotment http://taylorsplot.blogspot.com/
Orfy Blog (Food'n'Stuff) http://orfy.blogspot.com/
1xMaran 1xRIR 6xWarrens 2xMuts
Steve valentine
Legendary Laner

Re: Lard.

Post by Steve valentine »

That takes me back to being a nipper, pork fat sandwich with a sprinkling of salt, I value my cholesterol level too much these days but by eck it were nice!
Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.
manda

Post by manda »

The colours look wonderful Orfy... )t'
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

Orfy, I do the same with my bacon fat...we have bacon so little of the time, and the fat really flavors nicely.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

I don’t use lard very often at all now (does goose fat count for roast spuds at Christmas?), but I remember it well from my youth. But those were the days when no one wore a seat belt, six or seven pints was still ok if you were careful when you drove home and my Dad could walk around a supermarket smoking his pipe. Chips done in lard are way better than oil IMO, the taste is just superior.
Bah Humbug
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

I can remember those days Saint Spoon, and in our last army posting we had a fish and chip van come round and it was all cooked in lard and tasted completely different to cooked in oil. I sometimes use half lard half marg for pastry but my pastry usually turns out like concrete whatever I use.
pavel131
Lively Laner

Post by pavel131 »

I am not a great lover of lard, but I would not cook the Sunday roast without beef dripping!
Unfortunately, you can rarely get a beef joint with fat on (dripping).
I used to salivate, and fight my older brother over the dripping off of the beef joint when I where younger. Spread on a door step of uncut bread with a sprinkling of salt; heaven, not forgetting the brown liquid as well.
If you must use oil, I have found that "ground nut oil" is the best.
I use beef dripping (bought in a pack) from my local butchers to cook the roasties. The reason is, that you can get it sizzling hot; which is needed for the potatoes and for the Yorkshire puds. also, to get the best results for the roasties, my Mum always told me to baste the roasties regularly whilst cooking.
Another secret (well not now) is to sprinkle "Aromat" on the roasties a couple of times whilst they cook. It is a salt substitute that you can get from the supermarket.
Damn!!!!! I want to go and cook one now talking about it. )run(
I am an Dyslexic agnostic insomniac. I lay awake all night wondering if there really is a dog.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

What you describe the local shop selling is what we called dripping.
I don't eat it myself but on the odd occasion that I have it, my OH can't wait to get it on his breakfast toast.
I don't put fat in the tin when I roast, so all the juices with the fat from the meat and the flavourings that I've put on it, end up in a little pot in the fridge. The juices set into a jelly with a layer of dripping on top. He loves it!!
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Beef dripping on toast with a little sprinkle of salt on it. My dad introduced me to this when I was a nipper and it was yummy, good old dad.