What tinned food do you buy?

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

What tinned food do you buy?

Post by Richard »

I only buy maybe Baked Beans and the occasional Creamed Rice, maybe the odd tin of Tuna but that's about it.

I can understand that some products have to be tinned.

My question is though.....

Are we not losing a lot of the goodness through tinned food, especially fruit and vegetables?

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Re: What tinned food do you buy?

Post by MissEllie »

I agree but i guess sometimes its all about convenience. We buy tinned tomatoes, baked beans, hotdogs and tuna but that's about it.
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Corned beef, tinned toms, chopped toms, beans, sweetcorn, soups, tuna and salmon oh and custard which I use rarely but always have at least 1 in the pantry cupboard
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

Chopped tomatoes (for convenience), sweetcorn and tuna, and the occasional tin of corned beef or Heinz tomato soup. Everything else is fresh or frozen.
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
wendy

Post by wendy »

Yes tinned tomatoes, baked beans. Also kidney beans, aduki, blackeyed, lentils and all that type of stuff I cannot be bothered to cook, as they take so long.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

We use tinned tomatoes and baked beans. I keep a couple of tins of mixed bean salad in, for my lunch if I've not been organised enough for anything else. That's all for day to day food.
I do keep an 'in case of emergency' stock, and that contains various tins/packets that we wouldn't normally buy.
When I'm gardening properly, I also preserve quite a lot of food, which I suppose is much the same thing as using tinned food.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Knikitta
Longlasting Laner

Post by Knikitta »

Hotdogs for the children, tuna, chopped tomatoes (only because I have had four years of blight! }hairout{ ) and there is also a random tin of Scotch Broth in my cupboard as well.

Everything else is fresh or frozen and I always try to buy from the local Farmers Market... still no luck finding a local butcher/baker though. {cry}
I swear I'll have a permanent imprint of my palm over my face from reading forums.
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

Much like everyone else - beans, chickpeas, tomatoes (mostly for use in chilli, fresh otherwise), tuna. An emergency tin of soup which I occasionally use as a base and add fresh veg to. Occasional tin of apricots to cook a chicken apricot casserole with, odd tin of corned beef. Otherwise all fresh.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Some soups - for camping, baked beans, spaghetti, rice, peaches, tomatoes, occasional tuna and salmon, think that's all.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Like everyone else I have got the usual baked beans, sweetcorn, corned beef and tuna, and even tins of whole tomatoes (these are my emergency rations when the home made passata runs out)

I also have a range of tinned meals :oops: like chilli, beef stew, various curries which I buy in when on special offer ... but before you think I'm sad LOL, they actually come in quite useful when I don't have the time or inclination to prepare a proper meal that takes too long to cook. I'll cook a pan of vegetables (all home grown of course and in summer lots of courgettes & new potatoes, in winter I'll use up the squashes, plus maincrop spuds and garlic etc as well as what is in the freezer), then add the tinned stuff (so it's all in one pan). Depends on how much water/juices were in the vegetables, sometimes a few gravy granules for thickening at the end and a little extra seasoning (usually pepper) It is surprisingly tasty and satisfying. And when I get home from a hard day at work, it is quick (only veg to prepare and throw into a pan) and is still nutritious - before I discovered this quick cook method I would probably have gone down to the chippy or just had cornflakes or something stupid because I couldn't be bothered to cook. And there's usually plenty left over to be reheated next day.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

We use the usual chopped tomatoes, baked beans, kidney beans, tinned spaghetti (for the kids - yuk!), tuna and sardines. We also normally have a couple of tins of peaches and some custard for emergency puds )t'

I love soup but always make it myself from fresh apart from Heinz tomato soup which tastes nothing like tomato but I love it with a bit of grated cheese on top when I'm feeling in need of comfort food :oops:

I much prefer tinned sweetcorn to frozen, it seems to have a much better flavour but Nick says it's too expensive so I have to have the frozen stuff )gr:

I thought the canning process was very healthy - equivalent to freezing. Is this wrong? >coc<
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I mainly buy all types of beans (not green beans), chopped tomatoes in natural juice,
all types of tinned fish for jacket pots and sandwiches and the odd tin of evaporated milk.
I don't think that any goodness is lost in the canning process, rather too much salt and sugar added.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Lucy I think you are absolutely right - at least according to much of the literature that Mum had, in fact there are some advantages to canning (you can keep tine much longer than frozen for a start off). Of course freezing your own has to be the best option of all but not many have enough produce to see them all the way through to the next growing season do they ?
What do I buy - all the usually ru n of the mill stuff you have mentioned but my extra is mushy peas - got to have them now and again ( prefer the ones you soak overnight but never seemed able to remember to do that)
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Toms, beans, tuna, and I always have some tinned fruit in for jellies or emergency puds for the kids (in juice not syrup), also condensed milk for banoffee pies. >ck<
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

We have:

Tuna
Mackerel
Tomatoes
Sweetcorn (for the girls)
Chick peas
Mixed beans
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.