What tinned food do you buy?

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
manda

Re: What tinned food do you buy?

Post by manda »

I never used to keep canned stuff except the staples like tomatoes and beans...always cooked stuff from scratch but since the earthquakes started and especially after big ones...I think many people decided they needed to review how they stocked their cupboards...especially after the Feb quake last year and the ports were knocked out...so supplies didn't get through.

Now although I still tend to have most things frozen my tinned stock has increased...the advice is get your family through 3 days because that may be how long it takes for them to get to you...I reckon between us and our friends we could do that and a lot more.

Tinned
Tomatoes (whole..I don't but the chopped so I can decide whether they need to be chopped at the time or not..if they're chopped already I can't reverse that process).
Beans of all kinds (baked, Canellini, Adzuki)
Chick peas
Soups - a few kinds
Tuna
Fruit
Condensed Milk
Custard Powder

Then on top of that we have those cardboard foil lined packs with things like sauces in. Normally make sauces from scratch but every now and again they do come in handy ...usually end up using them as they get near to date and then replace them for the emergency pack.

In the same kinda vein we also keep in supplies of rice and pasta and flour etc (keep them in nappy buckets that have water tight lids...everything keeps longer then and you can stack them )grin2(
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Re: What tinned food do you buy?

Post by Babycakes »

I usually keep a supply of tinned tomatos, kidney beans, chick peas, tuna and baked beans. My OH also buys tinned carrots and peas (which I dont eat, they're too soft) and tinned soup - again, not something I eat. I prefer to either have fresh veg, or frozen - but not tinned.
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!