Barbeque favourites

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Barbeque favourites

Post by MissEllie »

Right, the sun's out so time to dust off the BBQ.
We're fairly run of the mill BBQers, usually burgers, sausages and chicken skewers but im always on the look out for something different so over to you all - what do you like to cook?
)eat(
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
perchy

Re: Barbeque favourites

Post by perchy »

Corn on the cob, it is pricey at the moment but Al and Di do a bag of mini ish corns for 99p wrap in foil a little butter and a few herbs of your choice )eat(

Banana and apple slices same as above but with honey or golden syrup (calorie free one of course)

Thick chunks of onion and tomato they will simmer and be very juicy (in foil)
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Great suggestions Perchy thanks, I love corn on the cob and bananas (I never seem to be able to find the calorie free ones though :? ) maybe it's something to do with the chocolate buttons I stuff inside them.
I going to try the tomatoes and onions, that sounds yummy and would be great to add to burgers or have as part of a salad. :-D
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

We don't b-b-q much, but the best ones I've been to, the food has all been marinaded. So much tastier and more succulent.
I'm partial to lamb kebabs - cubes of lamb (I use neck fillet usually, but leg is good too) marinaded in an equal quantity of red wine and olive oil with some garlic, rosemary and seasoning. I skewer it with onion, red pepper, mushrooms and courgettes.
These would bar-b-q pretty well, I think.
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Last bank holiday, we did big flat mushrooms - we marinaded them in oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic and herbs (equalish amounts of the liquid, herbs etc added to taste) - I soaked them for a couple of hours before cooking, just turning them over when I remembered. They were delicious - I think more people ate those than the burgers.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Minced lamb, mixed with garlic & cumin then shaped into sausages on a skewer. Serve with raita (I just mix greek yoghurt with chopped mint & lemon juice) and salad in a warmed pitta - easy, quick & very tasty!
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

I once wrote this up for another forum many moons ago so have just copied & pasted it...

I'm not very sure about the exact origins of this - a friend gave me the idea a few years ago and I just played around until it tasted good!!

We have a lot of bbq's - including the ritual New Year's Eve BBQ and as some of our friends are vegetarian there is always a good mix of food available for all.

'Parcels' are made every time and everyone enjoys them whether they eat meat or not. In fact, I would be quite happy to eat nothing but parcels when we have a bbq!!

So, to make these tasty things you will need:

2 packs tortillas
large block mature cheddar, grated
Roughly chopped coriander - 1 small bunch will do
Pine nuts (we sometimes use sunflower seeds as they are cheaper)
3 green chillies
1 small red onion
lots of tin foil

Put the grated cheese in a large mixing bowl and mix in the coriander. (The more the merrier but this obviously depends on your tastes). Finely chop the red onion and chillies and mix in, along with the sunflower seeds (or pine nuts). There is no set amount for the nuts/seeds - I generally sprinkle in a generous helping and stir the mixture until you can see quite a few of them (if it looks like they are being hidden by the rest of the mixture you need more!!).

The parcel is now ready to be built!

Tear pieces of tin foil about 20 cm long and then halve them vertically. (No wastage here!)

Take a tortilla and spoon about 4 teaspoons of the mixture into the middle. Then al that you have to do is fold each side in - the 2 sides first then the top and bottom and wrap in a piece of foil. The best way to do this is to fold over the 2 sides of the foil and then scrunch up the ends.

The mixture should fill both packs of tortillas (16 parcels in all). Once ready, they can be placed on the bbq. Just turn them a couple of times and keep prodding until they feel squishy! (takes about 5 - 8 mins)

So, that is how to make parcels -
just be careful when eating them as the hot cheese can be pretty lethal!!
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Another one I wrote up for a forum in another life, copied & pasted again...

Firstly I would like to apologise for the name of the dish - I don't know what else to call it and it is genuinely called P****d Fish in our house.

We have a lot of barbecues and having burgers and sausages can get boring so we always try to branch out a bit and have a variety of different foods.

For this very easy 'recipe' you are best using tuna and swordfish steaks. Basically you marinade the steaks and then pop them on the barbie!!

So, firstly get a large, relatively deep dish and place the steaks in it. Roughly chop and onion, garlic and chillis and sprinkle onto the fish. If you do not have fresh chillis, the dried flakes work just as well.

Season with salt and pepper and add a small amount of parsley and coriander.

Once this has been done, pour over a bottle of white wine, cover and leave for as long as you like! We usually like to leave overnight but a couple of hours is enough to flavour the fish.

When barbecued, the fish is tender and very tasty and is just perfect served with salad and homemade coleslaw with a big cob of crusty bread!!

You can also just as easily griddle or grill the fish as a main meal instead of barbecuing it!)
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Bananas…. You put a little slit in the skin on the inside of the concave surface and insert a mini chocolate bar (the Cadburys animal bars are ideal), add a splash of rum (optional) and wrap in foil. Ten minutes on the barby and chocolaty rum bananas.
Bah Humbug
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Jacket potatoes in the foil in the embers.....twizzle sticks (make a slightly salted flour & water paste then twizzle the dough around a stick, cook over the fire, take out stick & replace with a bit of butter).....chicken marinaded in lime, coriander & garlic
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Garlic onion and rosemary potatoes:

Just wash the potatoes and cut into chunks and put into a flat parcel of tin foil , slice a couple of red onions, crush a few cloves of garlic, a couple of sprigs of rosemary, sprinkle some olive oil over the lot and season, seal up the parcel and put on the BBQ )t'

Moroccan Butterfly Lamb:

Half price leg of Lamb, either butterfly it yourself or get the butcher to do it, make up a marinade of Moroccan spices (you can get these from most supermarkets) mix with olive oil and some Balsamic vinegar (or anything of your choosing!) and rub well into the lamb. Preferably leave to marinade overnight in the fridge, then take out from fridge an hour or so before starting, place on BBQ and smell heaven cooking )eat( )t'
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

There's loads of yummy ideas there, thanks everyone )eat(
Looks like all we need is the sun now >fi<
Woody Allen