Sloe Gin

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
manda

Re: Sloe Gin

Post by manda »

kitla wrote: 19 Oct 2020, 08:18 DH was given a kit last christmas to make our own gin from vodka & flavour it with various botanicals. Every few months we make some from the cheapest vodka we can find, its been very good so far. I also recommend Raspberry vodka, and blackberry whisky.
I've got a still for doing just that....the first time I had a go I made ethanol (had to buy a water pump after this to get the flow consistent as we're on a well). Couldn't drink it but it is fabulous for cleaning the windows {rofwl}

We bought some greengages and have put the seeds in the fridge to germinate ...they have started shooting so hopefully in a few years we'll have some decent amounts to have a supply.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

manda wrote: 21 Oct 2020, 22:04
I've got a still for doing just that....the first time I had a go I made ethanol
Is that legal. Or are you making poteen?
manda wrote: 21 Oct 2020, 22:04We bought some greengages and have put the seeds in the fridge to germinate ...they have started shooting so hopefully in a few years we'll have some decent amounts to have a supply.
Will they come true from seed? I have a greengage tree (now horizontal but still alive), and a wild greengage in the shrubbery that has come from a sucker or a stone. The wild one lacks the flavour and texture of the parent Cambridge Gage. One of my favourite plums, for eating raw and cooked. Just been enjoying greengage jam on my breakfast bread.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
manda

Post by manda »

Mo wrote: 22 Oct 2020, 09:35 Is that legal. Or are you making poteen?
I have no idea but it was by accident and hopefully never to be repeated because it was such a waste of time {rofwl}

Mo wrote:Will they come true from seed? I have a greengage tree (now horizontal but still alive), and a wild greengage in the shrubbery that has come from a sucker or a stone. The wild one lacks the flavour and texture of the parent Cambridge Gage. One of my favourite plums, for eating raw and cooked. Just been enjoying greengage jam on my breakfast bread.
I don't know but I'm happy to wait to find out ...nothing ventured nothing gained :-D
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny