Ginger powder

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Ginger powder

Post by fabindia »

Despite ginger being a staple ingredient to many Thai dishes, we just haven't been able to find anywhere to buy ginger powder. There's plenty of fresh ginger in the shops but no powder. We use ginger powder quite a lot in drinks, cooking and baking, so was a bit of a disappointment.

So we have made our own, turns out to be pretty straightforward.

We just thinly sliced some fresh ginger root, sun dried it (not a problem here or UK at the moment), put it in the freezer over night and ground it to a fine powder. As simple as that and we end up with really fresh ginger powder.

What we have learnt though is just how much fresh ginger you need to make a relatively small amount of ginger. Will dry more next time.
Michael
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Re: Ginger powder

Post by albertajune »

As the old saying goes "where there's a will there's a way" I bet it tastes better as well not having been in storage. )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

I have never had a problem getting ginger powder. I fact I bought some only about 2 weeks ago. Try your local Indian supermarket or Thai or Chinese.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Grannyof4 wrote:I have never had a problem getting ginger powder. I fact I bought some only about 2 weeks ago. Try your local Indian supermarket or Thai or Chinese.

True for UK, but we are in Thailand. We see lots of stuff that you can only get in this part of the world but for some strange reason no ginger powder. I am guessing they always use fresh.
Michael
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

We've just made another batch of ginger powder. It is rather course compared with what we would buy in UK but it does the job when we need it rather than fresh ginger.

You don't get a lot in return for how much you start with. Started out with 800 gms but only got 64 gms of powder.
Michael
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

Shows how much water is in food doesn't it.

Are dehydrators available over there?
Always fancied one, but can't convince OH that it would be a good thing :)
Mainly due to the fact they seem to be huge.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

HedgeHugger wrote:Are dehydrators available over there?

I am sure we could buy one on Lazada, Asia's equivalent of Amazon. On the other hand we have 10 hours plus of sunshine (just over 12 hours of daylight but it isn't too sunny until an hour or so after sunrise) so it isn't a problem for us at the minute as the rainy season is more or less over.
Michael
BilliDavis
Learner Laner

Post by BilliDavis »

Grannyof4 wrote:I have never had a problem getting ginger powder. I fact I bought some only about 2 weeks ago. Try your local Indian supermarket or Thai or Chinese.

Totally Agree. I have a lot of recipes asking for ginger. I buy it from eBay Suppliers. They supply a whole range of interesting things (spices, flours, nuts etc), often in bulk packets that are generally cheaper than the Local stores.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

fabindia wrote:

True for UK, but we are in Thailand. We see lots of stuff that you can only get in this part of the world but for some strange reason no ginger powder. I am guessing they always use fresh.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire