The tastiest beef joint for roasting?

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
albertajune
Legendary Laner

The tastiest beef joint for roasting?

Post by albertajune »

My sister always come to me for Christmas dinner, just us two this year. On chatting about the turkey, she said it would be nice to have something different. As we both have to watch the pennies throughout the year and never buy a joint of beef, we thought that this would be a real treat for us. We share the cost but it is me that has to do the cooking which I am happy about. However I have to decide on the best beef to buy. We both like our meat well done or slightly pink in the middle so I must decide what to buy. Any ideas please for a tasty cut!!
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Re: The tastiest beef joint for roasting?

Post by Spreckly »

We rarely buy a joint, but beef topside is our preference.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I just love brisket, although not really chrismassy.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Spreckly wrote:We rarely buy a joint, but beef topside is our preference.

What I had in mind but so long since I cooked one. A luxoury!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Brisket needs really slow cooking, then is very tasty, when the tough connecting bit go to jelly. With carrots also cooked soft.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Mo wrote:Brisket needs really slow cooking, then is very tasty, when the tough connecting bit go to jelly. With carrots also cooked soft.

mmmmm .... making me hungry just thinking about it

albertajune wrote:As we both have to watch the pennies throughout the year and never buy a joint of beef

I'm in the same boat - I never buy joints of beef and it's been so long since I ate home-cooked roast beef so I wouldn't have a clue. I'm also worried that I might overcook beef and end up with chewy leather which would be a disaster after spending so much on a joint. Anyway, I googled and found this (BBC Good Food) on the search page:

For roasts, the best cuts include rib (on the bone or boned and rolled), sirloin, top rump and fillet. For quick cooking, try fillet, entrecôte, rib eye, sirloin or rump steaks. Brisket, topside and silverside are good for pot roasts, and stewing and braising steak are good for stews and casseroles.

Personally, I would prefer roast pork if I decided against a bird (that cooks very well in the halogen oven and makes really lovely crackling)
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

First off it needs to be aged. M&S do some fabulous joints of beef to order. I love a BIG piece of rolled sirloin, that roasts pink beautifully. If you don't mind some fat then a rib of beef is to die for and cooks pink. I have tried all sorts of cuts of beef and these 2 are in my opinion the best. Some people would probably say fillet but to me that is flavourless and a total waste of money. Go on their website and look. Dry aged sirloin and dry aged rib.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Grannyof4 wrote:M&S do some fabulous joints of beef to order.

fabulous prices too yike* They do look good ...
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Thanks for the info LL. Someone near me who's brother is a butcher said Sirloin, so that is what it will be. Like you LL, I can't remember the last time I cooked a lovely joint of beef and also don't want to destroy it. I'm sure that my years old cookery book will help me out with cooking times. )c+