Sun dried tomatoes - Getting there.

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Sun dried tomatoes - Getting there.

Post by fabindia »

We've had a couple of rather mixed attempts at making sun dried tomatoes here in sunny Thailand. The first batch went rather moldy and we ended up throwing them away.

Next, rather than just cut them in half, we cut them into small wedges. These turned out not too bad but we were still not happy with them.

Third attempt - much more successful. We cut the tomatoes in half and scooped out all the wet centre and seeds. We ended up with a lot of these, so rather than throw it away, we chopped up a few more tomatoes, added garlic and oregano and made pasta sauce. Waste not, want not.

We added a pinch of salt to each of the halved tomatoes and then dried these. Once they were fairly well desiccated, these were boiled for 5 minutes in water to which a little vinegar had been added, presumably to get rid of a little of the salt, quickly dried them again and bottled in olive oil with slices of garlic and dried oregano.

Just waiting a couple of weeks before we can sample and come to a judgement of if all the effort was worth it.

Will update :-D
Michael
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Re: Sun dried tomatoes - Getting there.

Post by albertajune »

FINGERS CROSSED!!. I did make them some years ago and they did turn out very successfully. I dried them in the oven which took ages and bottled them in oil. I just remember that it took an enormous amount of tomatoes to make a jar. I don't think they stood around enough to know how long they would last. Good luck with yours )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.