Curry Leaves

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Curry Leaves

Post by fabindia »

Curry leaves are essential to Indian cooking. Even though they are called curry leaves, they are not 'curry' as such, they are a sort of herb, also called sweet neem leaves.

We don't seem to be able to get them here in Thailand, certainly not in our local stores, but may be we need to find a wholesale vegetable market somewhere. I am sure the curry leaf tree would grow easy enough here as it a tropical tree.

In Malaysia, I found some fresh curry leaves easy enough in a local street market during in our short break there. So I have have brought some back to Thailand with us.

They are best fresh, as we know from living in India, but they dry easy enough, so I have them outside drying in the sun now.

If you have not used them before, they are worth looking out for in your local Asian supermarket. The easiest recipe with them is Indian scrambled eggs. Fry a small finely chopped onion until golden along with 6 or so curry leaves. Add a finely chopped tomato together with 1/4 tsp of turmeric, coriander and chilli powder (go easy on the chilli powder - you want warmth not heat!). Fry the tomatoes for a minute or two and then add your beaten eggs. Heat, continuous stirring until the eggs are scrambled. Serve with toast (or chapatis) and mango pickle or tomato ketchup.

Michael
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: Curry Leaves

Post by Gwenoakes »

That recipe sounds very tasteful, Michael, thanks.