Anyone ever had dosa?

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Anyone ever had dosa?

Post by fabindia »

Dosa is a South India specialty. It is a crispy pancake made from fermented rice and dal batter and usually served with a spicy masala.

Given that everything out here ferments very quickly, I thought I would give it a go. You take your uncooked rice and dal, add water and nature does the rest with the fermentation process over night. Then you add a little salt, blend it to a pancake consistency and pour it into your pan.

Sounds simple, but like most things is harder then it looks to get a nice crispy pancake. Mine are getting there but certainly not perfected yet!
Michael
wendy

Re: Anyone ever had dosa?

Post by wendy »

Sounds good. Does it taste good as well ?
I can't say I have heard of it and I am sure I haven't seen it on any menu's here. But there again I haven't looked.
I love all Indian food and should be going for a meal in around 3 weeks. Lets see if they have it
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

I kept meaning to go to a dosa bar in Croydon when I worked there - all down the London Rd there and a great favourite night out amongst my colleagues. Never did quite make it but will look them out in our local takeaways (after the diet :-( ) as they do sound good.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

I kept meaning to go to a dosa bar in Croydon when I worked there - all down the London Rd there and a great favourite night out amongst my colleagues. Never did quite make it but will look them out in our local takeaways (after the diet :-( ) as they do sound good.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

wendy wrote:Lets see if they have it

Dosa is a South Indian specialty and tends not to be on the menu of our standard 'Indian' restaurants. A well cooked crispy dosa is a treat :-D
Michael
wendy

Post by wendy »

)t'
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
manda

Post by manda »

Never had it before...can they be used for sweet and savoury?
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny