Electric Pressure Cooker

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Electric Pressure Cooker

Post by fabindia »

We've found that a pressure cooker is almost indispensable for Indian cooking, especially for cooking lentils (dals). When we were living in India, I bought a very basic one from a local market, which we then took with to Thailand.

So back in UK, we had a look to buy a new one and decided that rather than buy a new standard pressure cooker that steams and hisses on the stove, we would try an electric pressure cooker. I think Americans call them 'Instant Pots', as besides being a pressure cooker you can do all sorts with them. Ours fries, steams, cooks rice (though not a fan of rice done in rice cookers), pressure cooks, bakes and you can even use it to make yogurt. Because the pressure is controlled by the electronics, it doesn't hiss when cooking and so doesn't sound like a bomb about to go off.

Early days yet but still is looking good.
Michael
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Re: Electric Pressure Cooker

Post by albertajune »

I have seen them advertised on TV and they do look brilliant. I don't think I would make enough use of one as I only cook for one. It will end up like my other new kitchen gadgets that I have bought. In cupboards just looking Impressive when I open the door. :oops:
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I have a couple of old pressure cookers but neither come up to pressure now. The rubber rings are too old and I thin one lid may be slightly distorted.
Do the new sort use rubber rings?
The only thing I used it much for recently was the once a year Christmas pudding steaming and I don't make them now - it was Jim who really liked them. It was a nice recipe, I quite liked it once a year, I made a batch and the rest of the family had a bit on Christmas day but Jim enjoyed what was left into January. Then one daughter went vegetarian, one Son-in-law is gluten free so it is all too complicated to make it when none of us are that fussed. Except that they enjoy the tradition of setting it alight. I'm too old for the 'have to do what we always did' nonsense.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

The last pressure cooker I had was donkeys years ago and I remember vividly looking for the exit door and tbh it frightened the heebie geebies out of me so I gave it away and never have had one since.
Mine had rubber rings and seemed to be quite a faff as I remember.
I am glad yours is working for you, Fabindia.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

We've found our new electric pressure cooker really good. Made near perfect yoghurt in it plus soups, vegetable stews and dal in it already.

The instructions aren't always that clear and it has lots of settings that appears to be just variants of the same thing, i.e. you good just as easily adjust to these settings manually. Nice thing is that it doesn't hiss at all when cooking.
Michael
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Not hissing is one giant improvement for me anyway, as that was what had me looking for the exit.