Cookery Books

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Cookery Books

Post by fabindia »

I think we all have more cookery books than we will ever get through. Browsing ours, I guess we only ever cook one or two recipes from each book. Some of these become 'regulars' but many are one offs.

I have one Indian cook book which I have cooked lots of recipes from and written the date and rating (stars 1 to 5) against. But generally ours are never that well used. One of our latest books, Bosh!, I think we have cooked just two things from, both of which actually where excellent.

So, Wendy and I are going to branch out a bit. We have decided each week to cook two completely new recipes. I will cook Indian (I think there must be thousands of Indian recipes) and Wendy will have free reign to cook any other style.

As they say variety is the spice of life!
Michael
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Cookery Books

Post by Mo »

I have a small pamphlet sized cookbook that we had to get for our school cookery lessons. Essex Cookery book. And a big Woman's Own cook Book that my mother sent off for when I was going to University. That's the one I sometimes consult, though mostly I use the same recipes written onto the blank pages at the end.

The thing I've got a lot of is books of dance instructions (and CDs to go with them). And I find the same thing. I tend to call just one or two from each book.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Re: Cookery Books

Post by Freeranger »

I think I'm a bit the same now, picking one or two but I do use the others for inspiration - I think the problem for me is that many recipes need things that I wouldn't use in sufficient quantity to justify buying, so I riff on the general theme, using up stuff that needs eating.
There are books I've used often, though. From student days The Pauper's Cookbook by Jocasta Innes and Gail Duff's Vegetarian Cookery. Later the Crank's cookbook and Elizabeth David's French Country Cooking, and later still Jamie at Home and one on low-fat cooking.
I've been playing with bread recipes recently, now with low carb alternatives such as seeded and rye crispbreads, and pitas. I've enjoyed perfecting techniques - and of course, the quality control!