Have you stocked up just in case?

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Have you stocked up just in case?

Post by Mo »

Gwenoakes wrote: 12 Dec 2020, 10:57 My motto is if you have eggs and a bag of potatoes then you can always make a meal, maybe not the best meal in the world, but a meal non the less. We will all have to adapt to what we can get.
I stopped ages ago with the 'what if's' regarding Brexit.
Trouble is British agriculture suffered from being in the EU (maybe because of the way the rules were interpreted here and elsewhere). Certainly our pig farmers had high welfare standards imposed - quite right too, but we had to let in pork from countries where other practises were allowed, and even after they were outlawed the rules were not obeyed.
So it may not be so easy.
Cheshire used to be a dairying county. Now there are more horses in the fields. Though that may change too if farmers can't get a payment just for having land used for equestrian.

I do think the gov has got a cheek asking us if we are ready for Brexit. Spending money on all those ads in March and now. How can we be ready till we know what we need to be ready for.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

fabindia wrote: 12 Dec 2020, 10:06 As a result, come 2021 we may well have no French wine or cheese, no soft fruits and lemons from Spain, no Danish bacon or German sausages and beer.
Even in a no-deal Brexit, we can still import goods from countries in the EU but they will be more expensive because of the tariffs. And even non-EU countries sell foods that we are familiar with - if anything, the UK being out of the EU may well open up new trading agreements that were not possible before. The problem with the news media is that they are selective about what the UK will be missing out of rather than the gains (no, I'm not a Brexiteer but I refuse to feel doomed by the decision made by a slim majority in that referendum)
fabindia wrote: 12 Dec 2020, 10:06 at the same time the British navy is readying war ships to fight off foreign fishing boats.
Again, trying not to get too political about this but I think the EU have a lot more to lose if the UK waters are no longer accessible to EU fishing boats. That's why the deal is stuck at this late hour - they need our fish more than we do. We don't know all the ins and outs of what is in the deal but I am in no doubt that collectively, the EU member countries are using bullying tactics of take it or leave it. The fact that some heads of state are already saying that a deal is unlikely has more to do with making the UK feel frightened of the consequences of not having one. As far as I'm concerned, we will adapt - traders will turn to other sources like they always have and we will be introduced to different things.
Mo wrote: 12 Dec 2020, 11:56 Trouble is British agriculture suffered from being in the EU
Now that I agree with - even down to what varieties we can or cannot grow, and setting high standards which have resulted in a wasteful society (oh, it isn't straight or the right size so bin it - with each new generation, they have become less able to see that a crooked carrot tastes exactly like a straight one!)
Mo wrote: 12 Dec 2020, 11:56 Cheshire used to be a dairying county. Now there are more horses in the fields. Though that may change too if farmers can't get a payment just for having land used for equestrian.
Yes, it's a bit of an unknown, especially as it was announced there would be less beef and sheep farming in the UK to fight climate change (less methane production and reducing red meat in the diet) though pig and chicken production should go up. What will likely happen is that the UK will probably import more of the meat from countries with lower welfare standards.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Gwenoakes wrote: 12 Dec 2020, 10:57 I think personally that the boss of Tesco is totally out of order making that statement.
Agree. I am sure he is no fool and so made the statement for a reason. The big supermarkets have done really well this year at the expense of the smaller suppliers. His statement will just make more people rush out to Tesco and empty the shelves and, no surprise, his bonus/shares options will rocket too.

It's a sad fact that due to this pandemic, the rich have gotten richer and the poor poorer.
Michael
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I think that, even if true, it will increase panic buying so make things worse.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

But I am sure that Tesco, like all the other supermarkets, are looking at alternative sources outwith the EU. The rich do get richer, and they have a lot of resources at their disposal I think.
Remembering how militant the french farmers became about imports they objected to, I'll be interested to see how they react when their produce can't be exported to us. A few weeks of agricultural militancy may change Parisian politics, and ditto other countries.
Perhaps the unthinkable will happen and we'll rediscover our own excellent british cheeses, give our dairy farmers a decent price for their milk, buy local meats and rediscover seasonality. Our farmers may just do better for this.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Freeranger wrote: 17 Dec 2020, 11:08
Perhaps the unthinkable will happen and we'll rediscover our own excellent british cheeses, give our dairy farmers a decent price for their milk, buy local meats and rediscover seasonality. Our farmers may just do better for this.
But the farmers may have already retired and encouraged their sons to learn a different trade.
I wish we could undo the ills of globalisation. I tend to be cynical though.