Mushroom burger

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Mushroom burger

Post by lancashire lass »

I love fried mushrooms. I've always fried them in a little butter or oil in a pan but during lock down, someone mentioned on tv of using an electric grill (like the George Forman fat busting type) instead. I bought some of those big mushrooms, still felt the need to smear some butter on, and grilled them whole and popped them into buns that I had in the oven for about 5 minutes to warm and crisp up the crust. )c+ )c+ Simple and delicious and didn't take that long to cook
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Re: Mushroom burger

Post by Freeranger »

And are you still licking the juice out of the crease in your elbows?!
I tried making these once when we were dieting and we just couldn't find a way of eating them without standing in the bath - much like a mango, as El Tel used to tell us.
I'll have to study your technique if you can eat them daintily.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Reminds me of a poem my mother used to quote (about water melons I think)
"And when the juice runs down your chin
You wipes it on your sleeve"

We discovered that it was not a good idea to quote this to a 3 yr old. Not a good idea to say "dip your fingers in your egg", either.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Did you have 'fingers' or 'soldiers' with your boiled egg?

Sorry )ot:
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Mo wrote:Did you have 'fingers' or 'soldiers' with your boiled egg?

Sorry )ot:

soldiers!

Freeranger wrote:I'll have to study your technique if you can eat them daintily.

I think most of the water came out / boiled off during the grilling because the mushrooms when cooked were firm like a steak which is what made them appealing as a "meat free" alternate and not at all juicy. These mushrooms were huge, about the size of my hand (or a saucer for equivalent size) and one was so thick, it was easily 2-3 inches high (without the stalk) when put on the griller. By the time it cooked probably about 1/2 inch thick - there wasn't much juice in the drip tray so maybe both the texture and boiling off made them less wet.

I cut the buns into quarters +f+ so they were easier to eat (the days of my ploughing my face into a burger of any choice are long gone .... I think that is down to too many T-shirts and tops with tomato sauce down the front {rofwl} )