Looking for a Proper Christmas Pud

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
kitla
Legendary Laner

Looking for a Proper Christmas Pud

Post by kitla »

For years now I've made a batch of christmas puds from my mum's 1950's recipe - which is very similar to Mrs Beatons. However, this year I only need one small one, not really worth the faf of making it, I thought I'd just buy one for a change. But a proper, traditionally made one with suet, not a cakey thing full of lots of nuts, cherries & palm oil. I have trawled the internet and I cant find one! I can only find recipes to make one - with all the right things in. Even Waitrose site has lots of nice xmas pudd recipes, but the puds they sell are all full of the wrong stuff.
Has anyone found a ready made "traditional" pudd for sale anywhere.?? otherwise I'll end up having to make it again.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Looking for a Proper Christmas Pud

Post by lancashire lass »

kitla wrote: 22 Nov 2020, 13:44 But a proper, traditionally made one with suet, not a cakey thing full of lots of nuts, cherries & palm oil.
I found quite a few made from "suet" but all are made from vegetable oils, most include palm oil. I think you might be struggling to find one with beef suet as there is a big shift to vegetarian / vegan recipes to cater for families with mixed eating habits though most likely because from a manufacturing point of view it is cheaper and easier to use oils than animal fats.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I really dont mind using veg suet, I often use it myself, but none of the puds i've looked at have suet in the ingredients. I've found some more traditional ones in large sizes & v expensive, but nothing else so far.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

These ones say they use sustainable palm as a source of veggie suet:
https://www.georgieporgiespuddings.co.u ... gredients/

These use butter, and have options to have your pudding e.g. without nuts
https://www.lillypuds.co.uk/

Haven't tried them so can't give a recommendation.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Thanks FR I've ordered one of the Georgieporgie ones, I'll let you know how it goes.
--Immanuel Kant
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

How was it?
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Hi FR, the pudding was really good! I would even say as good as homemade. The only criticism - it was rather small so no leftovers.
--Immanuel Kant
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Oh No! Disaster! I've never used this company, so the feedback was good to know for future reference. Thanks.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Oh No! Disaster! I've never used this company, so the feedback was good to know for future reference. Thanks.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

The beauty of Christmas is left-overs. With proper planning they last beyond Twelfth Night - even into February. And the choccies might even last till Mothers Day (and another box)
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Mo wrote: 04 Jan 2021, 13:33 The beauty of Christmas is left-overs. With proper planning they last beyond Twelfth Night - even into February. And the choccies might even last till Mothers Day (and another box)
{rofwl} not in my house
kitla wrote: 03 Jan 2021, 20:51 The only criticism - it was rather small so no leftovers.
Buy 2 next time!

On a different note, many years ago I bought a couple of Christmas puddings in the post Christmas / Boxing day sales (I think they were originally 18 month matured) and kept them until the following Christmas and they were perfectly fine. Most supermarket puddings are sealed and have a long storage expiry date particularly those soaked in spirit. Not sure how the Georgieporgie ones are prepared or packaged so can't comment.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Depends how much you buy / are given in the first place LL
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire