How big is a Christmas Turkey?

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Mo
Legendary Laner

How big is a Christmas Turkey?

Post by Mo »

Just wondering what determines the size of a turkey - thinking that there may be less demand for the really big ones this year. So if they want to produce a smaller bird do they just kill it younger / hatch it later.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: How big is a Christmas Turkey?

Post by lancashire lass »

I presume you mean a fresh turkey? I suppose frozen turkeys can be reared and be ready well in advance of the traditional Christmas fresh market.

I watched something on tv recently (for the life of me I can't remember what it was but I think it was about Christmas food from supermarkets) and they had a little bit about different types of turkeys. Some are reared indoors (they had white feathers), some reared outdoors (they had bronze feathers and better suited for being outside) and some really big turkeys (these were called Norfolk Black but there might be other large size breeds) which are reared for much longer. I seem to remember that age determined the development of muscle such as the breast meat - so a larger turkey breed would need to be reared for longer (27 weeks) but the indoor white feathered turkey matured much earlier - 12-15 weeks rings a bell. I think there's a fattening period just before slaughter when feed is switched to something else.

I suppose it doesn't exactly answer your question but I think farmers may have been expecting the demand for large turkeys this year would be small and planned ahead. Although having saying that, it probably does take a year or more to plan properly to meet the market. For this year, I think it was anticipated that demand might exceed supply.

I found this about breeding and rearing turkeys and this one about different turkey farmers
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: How big is a Christmas Turkey?

Post by Mo »

Thanks, it was just an idle thought really. Ages since I bought a turkey. Boxing Day used to be boil the bones and freeze enough meat to last for months day. And having kept hens I'm almost vegetarian now.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire