Buying fruit & veg. When are they at their best

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Mo
Legendary Laner

Buying fruit & veg. When are they at their best

Post by Mo »

I would never buy imported strawberries (not that some of the supermarket summer strawberries have a lot of flavour either).
But so many things are in the shops all the year round that I really don't know about. How and where they are grown and when they are at their best. Hence the other thread about celery.

So what do Laners buy at some times of year and not others?
I tend to buy honeydew melons and pineapples in summer (June July), but I don't know if that's habit or because they taste better then.
I do think tomatoes are tasteless in winter. I tend to stop buying them and other salad stuff when I switch my lunch from cheese salad to cheese and freshly picked apples.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Buying fruit & veg. When are they at their best

Post by lancashire lass »

Mo wrote: 10 Dec 2020, 21:45 I would never buy imported strawberries (not that some of the supermarket summer strawberries have a lot of flavour either)
Most likely the cultivar used for the supermarket is grown for high yield and packing - too often I find them to be slightly unripened (red but not sweet) because they have been picked slightly earlier to allow for the time during transportation before arriving at the shops.
Mo wrote: 10 Dec 2020, 21:45 I tend to buy honeydew melons and pineapples in summer (June July), but I don't know if that's habit or because they taste better then.
I'm not aware of pineapples commercially grown in the UK as they really need sub-tropical conditions and lots of warm sunlight. After growing up abroad when the pineapple season usually resulted in a glut, there really was no comparison in flavour to those pineapples sold in UK supermarkets so I don't normally buy them. Melons - well yes, if they are locally produced then they are ripening from about July - October. Most supermarket melons on the other hand probably came from the warmer countries like Spain where they would be sun ripened and sweeter.
Mo wrote: 10 Dec 2020, 21:45 So what do Laners buy at some times of year and not others?
Parsnips and swede in late autumn / winter after a spell of cold weather preferably a frost. They taste much sweeter and palatable. Like-wise, Brussel sprouts taste nicer after a frost too. Carrots - well, that really depends on the variety. Those grown for the winter market tend to be big and chunky which are fine in stews and with roasts, but summer varieties are lovely and sweet which are easier to eat raw and in salads. Cabbage - again, like the carrot there are different types for both summer and winter harvesting. The pointy ones are almost like a flavoursome lettuce whereas of course, a savoy is better for winter (I prefer a savoy in winter vegetable soups)
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Yes, I know there are different varieties of cabbage, and I used to be able to buy cauli seed (well, winter broccolli, but it looked like cauli) named after months of winter and spring, now not so much variety (not that I grow them now)
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

lancashire lass wrote: 11 Dec 2020, 16:04 ..there really was no comparison in flavour to those pineapples sold in UK supermarkets so I don't normally buy them.
Same with me and apples. Once my home grown ones are finished I don't fancy the tasteless supermarket ones.