Are people in your area panic buying?

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Are people in your area panic buying?

Post by fabindia »

We've seen on the news what looks like chaos back in UK. Brexit uncertainty and the spread of a new strain of Covid looks to be having a big impact on food supplies from Europe.

We have no problems here in Thailand fortunately. We live in the tropical south, so lots of bananas, pineapples and water melon. The north is much cooler and grows things like potatoes and tomatoes (which I have tried to grow down here but it is simply too hot ). Also, Thailand is a big producer of rice. All in all we don't have the variety of food stuff we get in UK but there are no shortages and as people here generally don't celebrate Christmas there is no Christmas rush in the shops
Michael
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: Are people in your area panic buying?

Post by Gwenoakes »

I went shopping yesterday and to be honest there were a lot of people around, but the supermarket shelves were full, had no prob getting what I wanted. I have seen on good old google though that T.sc. are now rationing some things and I am sure the other supermarkets will soon follow.
My motto is and always has been if the supermarkets haven't got it, then we cannot have it and we make do with something else.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Gwenoakes wrote: 23 Dec 2020, 16:32
My motto is and always has been if the supermarkets haven't got it, then we cannot have it and we make do with something else.
Well that makes sense. Plus I keep a spare of everything non-perishable.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

fabindia wrote: 23 Dec 2020, 14:32 We've seen on the news what looks like chaos back in UK. Brexit uncertainty and the spread of a new strain of Covid looks to be having a big impact on food supplies from Europe.
The chaos is actually in Dover and the M25 when France closed its borders without notice soon after news of the new Covid strain was announced, and all the lorries that would have been crossing the channel were stopped and had to be parked up. Brexit uncertainty is something else entirely but probably accounted for the extra traffic to and from Europe to stock up in case of problems should there be no deal and the introduction of tariffs. As for food shortages - only the fresh produce unavailable in the UK were likely to be hit and there should be plenty of food.
Gwenoakes wrote: 23 Dec 2020, 16:32 and to be honest there were a lot of people around
... it's always busy the days before Christmas with people doing their main food shop then (one of the reasons why I always try to get as much done in the weeks before so that I can avoid it!) Where plans have been changed (such as being moved into Tier 4 and no longer allowed to have indoor visits), those people who were supposed to be going away have probably had to buy stuff in at the last minute.

I didn't see any panic buying in my local supermarket - busy as expected for this time of year but not how I remember when I used to take my mother for the big Christmas supermarket shopping in the 1990s (I used to be in a Christmas savings club so that I could also stock up her cupboards with basics and things she wouldn't normally treat herself to) I confess that I did buy a big pack of toilet rolls when I probably didn't need to but otherwise, my cupboards were already stocked up as part of my normal Christmas and New Year plans to stay at home and avoid the shops as much as possible (the Boxing Day sales are unlikely to go ahead but old habits die hard - in some ways, probably even more reason to avoid going out and shopping after everyone have been socially mixing on Christmas day!)
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Seems as though supplies between the EU and UK are being affected by the terms agreed in the Brexit deal which is having an impact. Not sure if the hauliers are being made scapegoats for not getting all the paperwork ready or whether the whole system is just not ready for adjusting to the new way of trading plus import & export duties getting in the way. Some supermarkets have started rationing though I can't help wonder if this was also due to earlier panic buying when the lockdown was announced.

And with Covid case numbers rising significantly during the lockdown, I have to confess that my earlier pre-Christmas stocking up to avoid shops over the holiday period has worked well so far - I've managed to stretch the food a bit longer and can easily go for another couple of weeks without a grocery shop, but I am starting to run out of some stuff. Mainly some fresh and frozen veg but I am being creative in some meals and using whatever is at hand. Then I ran out of hot chocolate - yike* NO! I love my bedtime hot chocolate (instant with hot water) and can't really switch to milky drinks because I'm rationing the long life. Luckily I was able to pop down to the local shop when it was quiet and got some )t'