Looking for cat advice please.

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Re: Looking for cat advice please.

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

No-one else wants him because he makes himself a complete nuisance at the houses he visits - if he manages to get in to one particular house, he stations himself inside their cat flap & tries to stop the resident cat from getting in. I don't think it's territory issues that are the problem because he is normally very willing to stand up for himself.

Thank you for your thoughts Gwen :? I see your point, but I'm completely stuck. I'm just really hoping that a fresh start with our friend will work.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Another update. We didn't rehome him, I couldn't bring myself to do it, especially after thinking some more about Gwen's post.
He'd been missing for two months, and although our old neighbours were seeing him around occasionally, none of them were able to catch him for us. At long last, we had a call yesterday to say that they'd got him. He is definitely being fed by someone - his lean, hunter's physique is gone, he weighs a ton and, apart from his face, looks like a proper domestic cat. No fleas (normally he's covered when we collect him after an absence).
So, he's back here at the moment, going in to kennels tomorrow because we're away for the weekend.
We've just bought a big collar tag from Pests at Home that says 'Please Don't Feed Me!' very clearly on the front, with his name and telephone number on the back - hoping that this will be more obvious than the little barrel tag he had before. No-one knows who is feeding him, although I have a suspicion that it's the lady who bought our house from us, she won't answer the door or telephone to me though :? I had thought that maybe the kindest thing was to try to get her to adopt him.
Failing that, we're going back to square one and will pretend we've just moved. He is living in one room at the moment, and only being let out in to the rest of the house in the evening. I'm hoping if we can keep it up long enough, and make home an attractive enough place, we might have some success.
If any new forum members have any bright ideas, I'd be happy to read them!
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
wendy

Post by wendy »

It is annoying if people feed your cat when they know he already has a home.
My Siamese had bouts of going missing, the final time for 2 weeks. I saw him from the bedroom window and called him. He came in and, like you, I could see he was being fed.
I bough a collar and wrote. This cat belongs to, with our telephone number and let him out again.
Within minutes I had a call I got her address, in the next street, and went round to see her. Complete innocence " I thought he was stray...and Oh is he a Siamese ? I have called him Ming." Like you would call a Moggie Ming ??? No his name is Dylan !
I told her I didn't mind him going in to see her, but please don't feed him.
A day or so later, terrible thunder storm and she rang to say he was with her and had some tuna and cream }hairout{
I reterieved him and he was kept in for 3 weeks. He had forgotten about her by then.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Sorry if I worried you unduly LBF with my post, but I always think, 'what if'.

Hopefully the person who is feeding him will stop now. {hug}