Sox

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

Sox

Post by little brown hen »

Hello, about 12 weeks ago I was offered and adopted a little black and white cat, who we called Sox. They weren't sure if she was spayed, and I expect you can see where this is going, because 8 weeks later she gave birth to 5 beautiful kittens. They are 4 weeks now, and full of life and great fun to watch.
Im hoping someone who has been blessed with kittens might be able to help me with weaning. Ive been giving them cat food from Pets at Home, which is made for new kittens. Three of them are enjoying this, a fourth one ate some for a couple of days and now won't touch it. The fifth one isn't interested. Does this all sound normal? Im not in a rush to wean them, but I do need to get the mother spayed before she manages to escape, she is always trying to slip past us and get outside. A couple of them have discovered the joys of the litter tray, the others pee where ever, though they do seem to use the newspaper I've put down. Do we sound as though we are on target? Thanks for reading this.
Mum to Sox and Boo,and hens, Bramble,
Belle,Bourbon,Holly,Ivy, May and June
RIP Daisy my cat,and Spice, Clara, Alice, Biscuit, Cookie Clarice and Henrietta. Over rainbow bridge, but never forgotten.
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Re: Sox

Post by jemberelli »

Sorry, can be of no help whatsoever - just wanted to say Awwww, I think I am in love!!!
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
perchy

Post by perchy »

Aww they are beautiful and well done you for looking after them so well, I am afraid I too know nothing about weaning etc, they are going to be such beautiful cats {hug}
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

I`m no help either, but your kittens are so lovely, real cuties.
urbanchicks
Longlasting Laner

Post by urbanchicks »

Weaning them with milky feeds such as baby rice ,ruscs mixed with hot water, gradually add kitten food to rice etc in maybe a week -10 days, are they feeding well off mother? Fully weaned in 9 weeks.They are gorgeous )t'

Maggie
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

Hi Maggie, Ive had them on smooth kitten food for five days, and 3 of them have been eating that. Do I use rusks that you'd give a human baby? Shall I try mixing that with a bit of the meaty stuff? I hope I havent messed things up. :oops: Ive been feeding the Mum with kitten food, and one of them was eating that yesterday. I'll get some rusks tomorrow. Thank you. :-D
RIP Daisy my cat,and Spice, Clara, Alice, Biscuit, Cookie Clarice and Henrietta. Over rainbow bridge, but never forgotten.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Yes it does sound normal. I have had two lots of rescue mums with kittens here. I fed them with pouches of Felix kitten food, and/or Whiskas. You can mash it if you like but they cope quite well with it. If they don't like one sort try another. then stick to the one they like. Not a good idea to change too often it gives them the runs. Never gave any rice or rusks. I also put down dry kitten food, just a little in a small dish. They make their own minds up whether to eat it or not. I used one big plate rather than little ones. They follow each other to feed. As long as they are getting mums milk. There will always be one or two which will eat more than the others, if one looks like it is not getting enough take it to the food as soon as you put it down.

Don't let mum escape, they can come into season pretty quickly. Always be aware, keep doors closed. I had one mum come into season when the kittens were too young to leave her. She was rolling around on the floor moaning trying to get out. Blimey, what a racket.

They instinctively know how and when to use the litter box. Low sides are best for kittens so they can climb in and out of it easily.
They look lovely, very pretty.
Ilona
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

Thanks Ilona, I did get some rusks and kitten milk yesterday, and they didnt like it, but Sox did and she wolfed the lot down! My OH got very excited too because apparently he loves rusks. We've been married 35 years and I didnt know that! I gave the kittens the usual packet stuff this lunch time, and four of them ate it, so I gave no 5, Boo who we are keeping some Whiskers kitten biscuits and he ate those, so did one of them who is a bit piggy!
As for Sox she isnt allowed out until she's had her op and injections. Shes a little monkey because she tries to escape any chance she gets. Her favourite thing is dashing into the garage when we go to do the chickens, or go out shopping. She cant get anywhere because there is no way out, but she keeps trying. :-D
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

Oh no! They look gorgeous... and you live far too close.... and I am not allowed.

You must be over run with cuddles :-D

The cat rescue lady here says that the food issue is normal, you have 2 choices, try something else or wait until they get really hungry!

How I haven't got a cat with a Blue Cross homing centre about 20 feet from my office is a constant mystery to me! He who thinks he is being obeyed obviously imagines he is winning this one!
1 dumbo rat still without a name; 2 top eared rats Octavia and Ursula
1 Rhode Rock, 1 Sussex Star, 1 Blue Ranger - The New Monochrome Set

My crafty blog, it's Frugal too http://relovedremnants.blogspot.co.uk/
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

They are gorgeous LBH, they really are. I just love the grey and white, beautiful. Have you managed to get them homes yet?
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Oh they are real little heart-stealers aren't they, SO beautiful {hug} {hug} {hug}
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

Hi, thank you for your kind comments. They are real time wasters, worse than my chickens.
Stef if you want to come and visit, just PM me. I have a kitten head count when people leave the house!
Four of them have homes, one is staying with me, the only one without a home is the black and white one, and I think my neighbours dad might have her. I'd like to keep her too, but I think there might be a divorce if I try. :-D
Food wise, three of them like meat and two dried stuff which is on tap all the time. They are still getting a feed off their mum, but I noticed she isn't rolling over for them at the moment so perhaps she feels they should stop.
They are 9 weeks old today! :-D
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

Realised earlier, I am three weeks out, the kittens are 6 weeks old! :oops:
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

{rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl}

Did wonder. LOL
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

:oops: I dont do linear time. {rofwl}