How to keep Beau calm

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
albertajune
Legendary Laner

How to keep Beau calm

Post by albertajune »

As some of you may know, I have my OH in hospital and have had to leave our dog Beau alone when I have gone to visit him. All my neighbours are at work and would help if they could. I also have a sister nearby who has 2 dogs, her recent one a young lurcher called Poppy who Beau tries to avoid as she jumps all over him and he just wants to say hello and go on his way. My sister thinks that he will be all right with her but Poppy really is hyper and that could be a worrying situation for him as now when he meets her growls before freezing and tries to slink away. Even then she jumps on him and it has to the stage where if he sees her in the distance he wants to go back.

I have actually left him twice for 3hrs each time and he has been ultra excited when I've come home. My problem is, should I let him go to sis and the dogs will sort themselves out. Or is he better in his own home with his bed, toys and the radio on. I do feel that he has to learn that he will be left at times and that I will come back to him. He usually comes with us for shopping etc, but there may be other times when he will have to be left. He is fine in the car and doesn't bother about being left.

The reason that this is bothering me, is that a lady nearby asked me if he is alright as he was crying so much yesterday. He is adjusting so well to life outside of a puppy farm cage, where he was for 6yrs and becoming in all other ways a lovely well adjusted boy.
I don't want to give him other problems. So difficult!!
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Re: How to keep Beau calm

Post by jannie »

June, have you contacted the foster mum who looked after beau to see if she can help. Even if she isn't close enough Many Tears has a big network of fosterers who would be only to happy to look after Beau for you in emergencies. If that's not possible then I would think that Beau would be happier in his own home if Poppy is distressing him. Perhaps leave an item of your clothing with him as a comforter. I use a Pet Remedy diffuser when I go out but Bella also has Barney to look after her. {hug}
wendy

Post by wendy »

Jannie is right I wouldn't leave him with your sister. It isn't fair if he finds Poppy a bit OTT.
That would be good if the fosterer could help.
Give him a good walk before you leave. If you think he is going to chew or be miserable, leave him a stuffed kong, The night before you go. Moisten his food and then stuff it into a kong, with perhaps a little bit of pate or liver/chicken in the middle of the food now and again, one suitable for his size. Then freeze it overnight. Don't feed the next day until it is time to leave. Then give him the stuffed kong. A hungry dog and a frozen dinner. He should be kept occupied for a number of hours chewing his dinner out. Keeping him physically and mentally busy. Then he should sleep once he has done. When he wakes up there will still be some left and he may go back to it.
They reckon that after 15 minutes, dogs think you have been gone a long time anyway :? and we all have to leave our dogs.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Thank you so so much for the advice. I haven't heard of a kong but will sort that out.
Unfortunately the lady who fostered him lives miles away so that isn't an option. I must find out if there is in fact someone nearer who I could call on at short notice.

Hopefully, fingers crossed Roy will be home this week to carry on treatment here but an emergency can happen any time when Beau may have to be left. When we first got him, he used to cry dreadfully when Roy or myself went out but has got over that now and is happy to be with either one of us. Hopefully he will eventually be able to be left on his own at times in the future but I do understand that it may be a slow process.

I did feel dreadful leaving him but at the time had no choice. The funny thing is, when Roy has gone out and I have maybe gone into the garden or spent time cleaning the chooks, he has by choice stayed in doors on his own. Somehow they seem to know when you are actually going away. My sister says that I am spoiling him but I think that he has had such a sad life and I want to do whatever I can to help him.

Thanks again {hug} {hug}
I am now a widow and live with my memories.