Cleaning dogs teeth, advice please.

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Cleaning dogs teeth, advice please.

Post by Spreckly »

Angel is six this week, and her canines are showing slight signs of tartar, despite being cleaned every three to four days. I use Beophar toothpaste on her - she loves it!

For myself, I use Holland and Barrett Ecodenta toothpaste, and though I know that human brands are not to be used on dogs, I wonder if this might be safe for her. My step son in law used smokers toothpaste for his GSD's!

What do other dog owners use - Wendy, what do you use?

I see some dogs with beautiful white teeth, which never see a toothbrush, but all my shelties teeth have needed attention.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: Cleaning dogs teeth, advice please.

Post by Gwenoakes »

Clare does not clean Teddy's teeth, but he is fed raw and has bones, so sorry Speckly cannot help other than to say I would really check out the human toothepaste before using it on Angel, as not everything for human usage is OK for animals.
I remember years and years ago I had Yorkies and their teeth got bad and they went in to have them cleaned at the vets, but they would not eat bones or anything remotely hard to help to clean them. I was told by the vet then that if a dog has bad teeth it can lead to heart probs, not sure if that was true or not, but have always remembered it.
I am sure Wendy will have some good ideas to help.

Just googled and apparently bad teeth which cause gum disease can lead to diabetes. heart disease and broken jaw.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I can't help either. I have tried to clean Beau's teeth but had no luck in doing it properly. He licks the brush with vigour as I try to brush so I get no where. I can only clean the front teeth. He has in the past had a few teeth out and the vets advice was to give him one of the dental sticks for a small dog after meals.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
wendy

Post by wendy »

I wouldn't use human toothpaste, you never know what is in there.

I am like Gwens daughter.
I have only ever fed raw meat and raw bones and never had to have their teeth cleaned.

A small raw chicken wing once or twice a week should do he trick with her.
If she isn't interested then I think Dentasticks and Rasks and made to help clean their teeth.

I was also told that Tartar can cause heart problems as well.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

I always give our dogs a carrot each a day and so far they have never had any problems with their teeth and even the vet has commented on how clean they were.
Amber.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

I was just going to say what Amber actually does with her dogs and that is to give a raw carrot. Apparently a carrot is much better than any dentasticks you can buy.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thank you all for your replies. Dentasticks, etc., always get in my girls bibs, and the stains are difficult to remove, which is why I have not used them again. I've never fed raw, fearing the swallowing and injury from small bones
wendy

Post by wendy »

Raw bones are not a problem, it is cooked that would splinter etc.

I have never fed dry food. I was born into a house of dogs and at that time, all there was, was raw and I carried that on with my dogs.
Try a carrot as Amber says. Mine all have loved them.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thank you all again for your replies. I forgot to mention that my girls have always had a nylabone, which I remove if we're not in. Angel once gave herself and us a fright when she took one too far into her mouth. I gave her a lump of raw carrot last night, which she ate with her tea. I often give her cooked carrot, and she loves it.

But I will give her a whole carrot, as has been suggested. )t'
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

We took Toby to the vets on Friday for his 6 month check and the vet says his teeth need a scale and polish - £200 yike* We've booked him in already but reading that bad teeth can cause heart problems I'm glad we have. I've tried him with carrot but he's not interested. I'll have to try again if it's good for his teeth. I'm always unsure about giving him bones as I'm worried he'll choke (we've never had a dog before so it's all a learning curve!). We have given him an antler bone as I heard they were supposed to be good but he's not fussed about that either!
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Teeth should be cleaned every day.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I don't clean Angel's teeth every day, normally two to three times a week. She wouldn't touch a whole raw carrot, but is eating smaller pieces of raw. Kath - hope your dog gets on OK, but £200 yike*
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

Grannyof4 wrote:Teeth should be cleaned every day.

I never used to clean my last dogs teeth as I wasn't clued up enough on how important it was. However ever since we've had Daisy, which was when she was 20wks old, I've used a piece of muslin and some of that dog toothpaste they sell in Pets@Home.
She does have very nice white and clean teeth and the vet always says how good they are. I know small dogs like Daisy are very prone to dental problems so I've always gone out of my way to clean them every day. Can't say she particularly enjoys me doing it but she is quite prepared to put up with it :-D
Lyn
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Toby was in last Friday and came home with lovely clean teeth. He was funny that night though, could hardly keep his eyes open and kept toppling over {rofwl} Don't really want him going through that again though so we will really have to make an effort to clean his teeth. The front and sides aren't too bad but he isn't keen on opening his mouth so I can get right in there with the tooth brush. Vet mentioned just using tooth paste (or bicarb!) on a rag so might try that instead )t'
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I am glad Toby is all right, Kath, bless him.