To the vet again with Beau

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
albertajune
Legendary Laner

To the vet again with Beau

Post by albertajune »

My poor little boy has had a tough year health wise. He is nearly deaf, has cataracts and a throat condition that makes him cough. He came from a puppy farm and was born with a dislocated knee which was never treated. This back knee has now developed arthritis, also the other knee to a lesser degree. He still stays very alert but this week his mobility has become so bad. I took him to the vet this evening as I was worried about him. The vet thinks that a course of painkillers may get on top of it. If still the same on Christmas eve I must take him back. I had gone prepared to let him go but will take the vets advice. I don't think I will have him a lot longer and just pray that I am doing the right thing for him. He will be my last pet so feel so sad about him. Fingers crossed the treatment works to give him a little longer pain free happy life. {cry}
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Re: To the vet again with Beau

Post by Spreckly »

Oh June, that is so sad about little Beau, a difficult time for you to begin with. I hope the treatment works. T {hug} {hug} Take care.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I am so sorry to hear about your Beau being poorly again, June.
We have come to the conclusion with both Edna the Welsh Section D who is in her 20's and also Molly the cat who is 19 that quality of life is now best. This does include painkillers and the likes which all have side effects, but if they are comfortable then that is all that matters in our honest opinion.
So, I believe you are doing the right thing with painkillers and then reassess. Sending {hug} {hug&kiss} to you both.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Thank you Spreckly and Gwen. It is so hard knowing what to do. I went today fully expecting to have him pts but the vet said that overcoming the pain will let him put weight on his legs. He enjoys his food and looks bright and alert when not sleeping so I will go with the treatment for a few days. The biggest problem is he can't walk properly or manage steps so I have to carry him in and out. Bless him, hope I'm doing the best for him, not me. He has lived with me for 5yrs, his only home and is 11 or 12 now. He is my shadow so will eventually be greatly missed.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Is he on Metacam, June?
There is a human alternative with less side effects, Clare had to sign a document to say she knew it had not been tested on animals. There is a BIG but though as it is very, very expensive compared to the Metacam.
Fingers crossed here for a good outcome today. {hug&kiss}
wendy

Post by wendy »

Oh that is sad to hear.
Hopefully the pain killers will help him out and you will know if the time has come.
You love him enough not to let him suffer, if no more help is available.
Don't say never to another little one. Just give yourself time and maybe do like I do and take on the oldies. I know they aren't going to last long. But they are very loved while here with me.
You are in my thoughts June {hug} {hug}
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Gwenoakes wrote:Is he on Metacam, June?
There is a human alternative with less side effects, Clare had to sign a document to say she knew it had not been tested on animals. There is a BIG but though as it is very, very expensive compared to the Metacam.
Fingers crossed here for a good outcome today. {hug&kiss}

He couldn't take the Metacam as he started passing jelly like motions. Is on Previcox which is of the same family I think. He hasn't been yet today so don't know how they will react on him. He did seem a bit better in one leg this morning, now like all dogs, sleeping.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Fingers firmly crossed here, June. {hug&kiss} {hug}
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

wendy wrote:Oh that is sad to hear.
Hopefully the pain killers will help him out and you will know if the time has come.
You love him enough not to let him suffer, if no more help is available.
Don't say never to another little one. Just give yourself time and maybe do like I do and take on the oldies. I know they aren't going to last long. But they are very loved while here with me.
You are in my thoughts June {hug} {hug}

I'm afraid that he will be my last one Wendy. I don't drive so rely on someone to take me back and forward to the vet. I also have a bladder problem which has been going on for 3months and at long last something is being done about it. Having a scan in early Jan. I will have the worry of where my dog will go if I have to have hospital treatment now or in the future. I can't imagine not having any pets in my life but that is how it will have to be. I honestly can't stand the stress any more of worrying about everything.
wendy

Post by wendy »

{hug} {hug} {hug} {hug} {hug}
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Thinking of you both, June. {hug&kiss} {hug}
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Beau is much better in himself but still has a problem with the leg that had a previous injury. He has a job putting it down so can't go for even a short walk. He is once again managing to follow me around indoors but can't manage steps. He has often in the past yelped if he has turned the leg too quickly so I'm wondering if he has done this again and caused damage to to
maybe the ligament. The leg has always been a problem as he has had a dislocated knee since a puppy which was not treated. Being completely lame came on so suddenly. The vet could move his leg around in different directions and says arthritis but I'm not sure. Time will tell!
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

{hug} {hug} so sorry to hear about Beau, it can be so difficult to know what is for the best for our pets.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I would tend to agree with the vet, June and as we all know arthritis is particularly painful especially if you move/knock or twist yourself.
I will keep once again everything crossed. {hug} {hug&kiss}
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

June everything crossed here too for you dear little Beau {hug&kiss}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/