Lucas

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
sandy
Legendary Laner

Re: Lucas

Post by sandy »

OMG LL, have you considered a professional rat catcher? We had them in the garage and the attic and couldnt get rid of them
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Georgia,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora & Janice
The Peds…Suranne,Jennifer,
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

You have my total sympathy, LL and what's more I have no suggestions to make either other than closing the cat flap up.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Touch wood, Lucas has recently not been actively bringing live animals into the house that I am aware of >fi< (or he drops them off in the dining room before greeting me in the living room because he might anticipate my reaction ... and who knows what he brings in after I've gone to bed!) Earlier this week I did a supermarket shop at Aldis and they had other pouch food which I'd never seen before, one of which were in gravy (something like Whiskas but Aldi brand) He REALLY likes those but as I'd only got one box, I have been alternating with the other new box with different poultry flavours in jelly which are also going down well. It does make me wonder if presenting me with live rodents was his way of saying "hey, can we have something different for dinner tonight? How about fresh mice for supper?"

Closing the cat flap isn't really an option I'd like to take if I can - Lucas is surprisingly not as independent as his RSPCA description made him out to be as he seems to need to come indoors often just to assure himself that I'm still around before going back out again. His affection has definitely grown in recent weeks and he often invites me to pick him up to put him on my lap (he positions himself against my legs in such a way that he doesn't just want to be stroked at floor level but makes it easier for me to bend over and lift him up) Once on my lap, he has a deep purr and if he could, would want to rub his face against mine ... not something I really want to encourage because I can feel cat hair (whether real or imaginary) round my nose (I have allergies but so far am tolerating Lucas) ... and then relaxes before leaning into me. So very different from a year ago when just having him on my lap for a few short seconds before he decided to jump off was considered a success.

My neighbour is currently having their tall ash tree chopped down (it's still there but all the top branches have been cut down) The work has been done by hand but still, with several ladders and workmen around plus a shredder in use for the twiggy stuff, Lucas has decided to spend the day indoors despite the lovely dry sunny weather.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Sounds as if he has really decided to trust you.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I hope you have found the rat/s LL. Bad enough when you know there is a mouse around. I always know if I have a mouse in the airing cupboard, as I have a humane trap in there, and the stink is unbelievable for such a tiny creature.

Years ago when we lived next door to a working farm, with the fold yard a stones throw away from our back door, we had several rats, and a really brilliant ratting cat, who left them on the path, and on occasion chased them into the front hedge, which was hawthorne. I used to send them packing with a broom handle.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

I spent a small fortune and bought new rat and mouse traps with supposed attractant but none have been triggered. The other day I could hear the rat that ran into the understairs cupboard so its still around but I haven't seen or heard (or smelled) any others.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

A bit of warm weather and my cat quickly decides he prefers sleeping outdoors during the day now - very much what he did all last summer so I don't see him as much these days. I know where he spends the day because come feeding time (and I tap the bowl on the edge of the kitchen work top which he obviously hears and knows it is dinner time), I'll see him pop his head out from the unfinished "quail house" over the White House chicken coop where there is still a lot of clutter but he clearly likes being able to hide from view. This change in behaviour started up about the same time I had recently started going to work (slowly re-introducing myself back to the work place by going in early for about 3 hours about 2-3x a week and then leaving when others start arriving in earnest and would come home to carrying on working on the laptop) At first he would keep a close eye on me as the "normal" (lock down) pattern changed when I started to get ready to go - one day he even plonked himself on my foot which is something he'd never done before, as if he knew I was going out and was leaving him behind. When I got home (about 11 am), he'd be on his bed with his front paws tucked underneath and totally ignoring me, but this has since changed to now going to his hiding place instead.

Thankfully Lucas has stopped bringing any more live wildlife into the house - I think partly because he has got his appetite back and is eating whatever I put down for him (and some) Being able to get hold of the gravy flavoured pouch food has definitely helped. The other day I decided to try him with one of the other jelly pouch flavours he had gone off, and bless him, he ate the lot. For a rescued cat, he seems to like variety at meal times.

Most evenings Lucas will approach me when I'm settled down on the settee to watch tv and by the way he stands slightly away from me where I have to stretch over, he clearly wants me to pick him up and he'll snuggle down on my lap and purr his little heart out. I think it's not so much wanting to settle down but just have reassuring loving strokes (or he thinks I need it) before he shifts on my lap indicating he wants to get off (unlike the early days when he didn't want to be on my lap and try to leap off, this way is more subtle) and then he goes out for the night.

Talking of the tv, last night he did the funniest thing. As my television is on most of the time (not necessarily watching it but as a background noise especially when I'm working on the computer - I can't abide listening to radio chatter), Lucas should be well used to it by now. I was watching a documentary (about feathered dinosaurs) when he suddenly stopped what he was doing and started staring intensely at the tv, then quickly ran up to it and tried to swipe one of "dinosaurs" on the screen. The funniest part is that he then jumped up on to the tv stand and walked round the back and looked puzzled when he finally reappeared and then totally ignored the tv altogether and went outside.

The other thing I've noticed is that Lucas likes it when I spend time in the garden. I'm not sure why because it's not as though we've ever "played" outside (except for "fist bumps" when I've seen him on the shed roof as I've walked by) but as soon as I appear, he jumps on top of the chicken run roof and makes playful swipes at my head and then crouches down with his head low looking at me as if anticipating something when I see him. This soon follows into a mad dash round the pond, up onto the shed roof, across to the chicken run roof, back and forth a couple of times. Normally he'll then settle down but yesterday I couldn't believe my eyes when he went charging off the shed roof at speed (easily an 8 foot drop on the garden side), enough for me to quickly jump up and make sure he wasn't hurt but he was nowhere to be seen. I then noticed that when I had built the roof extension over the second chicken run from the shed that it stops at the apex of the glass greenhouse and on the other side it slopes down so it's likely he had landed on that before jumping off it. What a crazy cat.

I know Lucas goes to the gardens across the street at the front of my house as I've often seen him. I would rather he didn't venture too far as the next road up is a busy road, and is especially popular for cars speeding down the hill. I can't stop him from going out now that he has enjoyed his freedoms. The other day while on the patio repotting some plants, I heard him jump up on to the side gate, look unsteady on his feet trying to balance on top of the fence before dropping down heavily on to the paving. Clearly the route he takes regularly so today I moved one of the garden bins (used for bin collection which I have since stopped using) and parked it behind the gate - at least it'll not be such a big drop on to the paving now.

It seems strange to still have this topic open as I thought Lucas had settled in but just occasionally he surprises me with some of the antics he gets up to. He certainly keeps me entertained and been a loving companion.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Glad your rat problem seems to have settled down )t'
My cats have always loved it when i was in the garden, infact the only way i could catch them to take them up the vets was to sit on the lawn knowing full well they would slink upto me.
Oh dont stop writing about Lucas, he is such a character
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Georgia,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora & Janice
The Peds…Suranne,Jennifer,
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/