Advice for stubborn Lurcher!!!

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Advice for stubborn Lurcher!!!

Post by KathJ »

I know some of you have a lot of experience with dog training and behaviour and wondered if you could give us any tips. Our rescue lurcher Toby is perfect in every way (well to us anyway!!). However, he's recently developed this behaviour when we're out on a walk of just stopping and refusing to move }hairout{ He stands looking up at us with his beautiful big brown eyes but just won't budge. Sometimes we can stand there for 10 or 20 minutes until he decides to move again. We've tried all sorts - bribery with biscuits (sometimes he'll eat them and still not move and sometimes just turns away), petting and cajoling, pulling and pushing, stern talking and sweet talking but nothing will get him to budge until he's good and ready. Our latest tactic as to turn our back and ignore him which is having mixed results but not a perfect solution. It isn't on every walk, sometimes he's a dream doggie but when we're in a rush to get to work and an hours walk can become two it's quite frustrating. Any tips or suggestions gratefully received )t'
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Advice for stubborn Lurcher!!!

Post by lancashire lass »

how old is he? I'm only going off my old dog when she got older ... normally she would race around non-stop but as she got older, she suddenly discovered she had a nose and would stop and sniff, and as she got older, she spent a lot longer sniffing than walking which I think was her way of coping with arthritis and all the twinges while still enjoying the walk at her pace.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Ha ha sight hounds do like to stop and take in the surroundings...for no reeasoon whatsoever !
Arthur it is by the roundabout down the road. Nothing to see. But he stands and takes it all in. It is never too long, so I just let him look.
Pushing or pulling and you will meet resistance and get no where. Treats are good but he can only have them once he moves. Otherwise you are rewarding the standing still behaviour.
Have you tried turning round and going back the direction you have come for a number of steps. All jolly and that + plus tasty treats ie : mature cheddar cut into tiny pieces, when you turn back. You need to make the reward for this really good that he wants to turn round and carry on. What you percieve to be a treat isn't always a 'special' one to them. They do seem to know when you are in a rush. Maybe a shorter walk in the morning and see if he still does it. Maybe he doesn't want to go back because he has realised you will then go out to work. He can always have a longer one when you get home.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

He's about 8 or 9 and part Saluki which we've been told are notoriously suborn }hairout{ We're trying not to go down the treat route if we can help it as we don't want to encourage him to stop knowing he'll get a treat when he starts again. We do turn him back sometimes and this does work but again only if he'll willing to move. I think we'll just have to persevere and hope he gets fed up with it {cry}
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

wendy

Post by wendy »

Many people would rather not treat.

But if you have to do something, it is better to be motivated.
With us it is our wages and I am sure you wouldn't your boss to think we won't pay her as that may encourage her to stay away. They pay for turning up.

Hounds aren't easy and Saluki's are not easy.

I personally don't think it is stubborn.
To be stubborn you have to.

1st..... understand completely what is required, what is wanted of you.

2nd.... then consciously decide not to do it

and a trained dog doesn't do that. Because if a dog is trained to do something. He will respond to hand signal/word whatever. They may not do it well, but they will do it.

You just have a breed/dog that finds it hard to understand you want him to walk on. When he wants to stand and dream.

Have you had him the 8 years ?

You should be warned when getting a hound a sense of humour is a must )grin2(

KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Thanks Wendy. No we've had him for 3 years next month (wow that's flown :-D ) so don't really know where he came from or what training he had before. In all other respects he's really good but he certainly has selective hearing {rofwl}
Kath xx

wendy

Post by wendy »

{rofwl} {rofwl}
I have 2 Greyhounds. Know exactly what you mean

Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Have you tried turning round and going back the direction you have come for a number of steps. All jolly and that + plus tasty treats ie : mature cheddar cut into tiny pieces, when you turn back.
That is what I used to do with my Goldie....she was a cheeky monkey for planting her feet.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Is Toby still refusing to move, Kath, or do we have some success?
Clare previous dog to Teddy was Lexi a wolf dog and when I walked her and I wanted to stop and chat to someone, then the fun and games used to begin. She would lay down on her back, squirm and spin round, bite at the lead and umpteen other things. I used to try and stay calm and then turn round and go back the way I had come and when she was walking well again I would praise her as she was not food orientated. It took her ages to understand, but understand she did in the end and I am sure she felt better for the ground rules put in place, although she never did tell me that. LOL
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Its' hard to tell Gwen as he doesn't do it on every walk just when the mood takes him. Sometimes he'll stop and if you turn the other way he's go willingly, it's when he stops and you just can't get him to move in any direction that it's a pain >shrug< He looks up you with his adoring big brown eyes like he's trying to tell us something but we just don't know what. I think it's something we'll just have to get used to with him I'm afraid {hug}
Kath xx

GoldieC
Learner Laner

Post by GoldieC »

I remember how I trained my dog and it was so funny.

post edited to remove advertising link