Positive about sorting my weight this time...

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Re: Positive about sorting my weight this time...

Post by Freeranger »

Sorry to hear you've been feeling down,Lucy. No point beating yourself up, but be kind to yourself.

Helen, you tell a good story! I think I'd have just died at the wardrobe malfunction, but at least you kept your good humour (if not all of your dignity!).

Jem, I'm impressed.

I've had a shitty few days at work and found myself comfort eating and joining in a cake-based fundraiser, so no further losses to report. Only a 1lb gain, which is better than I deserve. Have rejoined SW and hope for better.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Well here we are again! Suppose it's that time of year.

I am not going to beat myself up for a change. I didn't do as well as I'd wanted last year, but ended up still 10lbs down on the worst ever (30/1/16), and only put on about 1lb or two over the hols this time, so the situation is 10lbs better than it could have been. And that's not far off a stone!

I'm entering 2017 in a mood to be a bit kinder to and mindful of myself, so I will be trying to eat more healthily and better overall, rather than focusing solely on weight.

I also think that there is much to be done through incremental change. So out with the mayo, in with the yogurt/creme fraiche; out with the cooking oil, in with the spray - that sort of thing. Somebody suggested picking a meal - say Monday lunch - and always making a point to have a healthy choice at that time. As it becomes ingrained, pick another one, until they all join up. Not sure I need to break it down quite to that extent, but it is a way of making things less regimented.

Anyway, you've heard enough of my waffle and good intentions before. We'll see if any of this works.

How's everyone else getting on? Any great insights to offer?
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

10 lbs lighter is a great start! Although I am supposed to weigh myself daily, I'm just not weighing myself at all any more until I have a grip on what I am eating!

Hopefully, when I eventually get on the scales, it won't be a horrible shock {rofwl}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Hi Helen,

and Happy New Year! It's a very comfort-eaty time of year, I think, and with all those last bits and bobs from the holidays.......I think we're all a bit the same.

We're dry January-ing, and started a week in. Was expecting miracles that haven't happened yet, but I look forward to saving money even if it doesn't work.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Well, last week got to my 'eeek' point! I had put on a stone since last summer, and had already previously put on a stone, so 2 stone on in total, half a stone this year! I must confess that I'm not surprised. I have been eating everything in sight, giant bags of crisps several times a week, cake at least once a day, biscuits etc - literally snacking on rubbish all day, everyday. Also my salt avoidance and low fluid intake went completely out of the window, and we won't mention the wine.... :oops:

So, just one week ago, decided I had to stop drinking as it makes me so peckish, and to return to a healthier diet including my (medical) very low salt/ restricted fluid diet. So far I have lost 8lbs yike*

Clearly a lot of this was fluid retention, and know I won't continue to lose like this over the coming few weeks! In fact this isn't a forever thing, it's just until I can get into my work trousers properly, and do the zip up! It got to the stage where I could barely meet the waistband, let alone move the zip }hairout{

Anyway, pretty pleased. I'll let you know how my trousers go!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
manda

Post by manda »

Hello ...I'm back out of hiding (I think) :oops:

I haven't seemed to find my motivation since I had my operation ...i's taken so long for me to get my energy back - I know they said it could take a couple of years but I don't think I took on what that was really going to mean.

So for now...I think I've found it (my motivation) - this time I have decided I'm not juicing I want to eat ...so...I'm going to follow the principles of the keto diet which is low carb, higher fat and moderate protein. I'm not going to be strict about it but lower carbs seems to make sense.

I've got an app on my phone so I can track my calories ad carbs etc - it's free (so that appeals) and it has enough information for me that I don't need to pay for the premium version. I've also got it on my computer and so I've got options for inputting things.
I like having information so when I'm having bad days I can look at the good days ...
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

I've also done a spreadsheet so I can keep track in kgs and lbs (hey lbs seems more number wise if you're feeling miserable {rofwl} )

I'm waiting for a fitness tracker thing so I can log my steps etc so I can log exercise into my app. I think if the tech is there why not use it ...and I'm honest on these things so it keeps me on track.
The fitness thingy wasn't expensive second hand off a local buy sell thing - so recycling )w(

I'm trying to make myself really keep on track this time and stay on track.
I've been doing this for the past 4 weeks ...even went out for a meal last weekend and I've lost 4 kgs (9lbs ...see if you're feeling in the need of a psychological boost 9 is better than 4!)
Hope you're all having a good week and the weight gods, which ever way you are trying to sort out your weight, are being kind.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Hi everyone how are you all doing all ive done is gain and lose the same two or three pounds . We stopped going to S. W it was a waste of a fiver we are trying to go diy and not have the stress off the weekly weigh inl. I've got just about all the recipe books..Anyhow good luck one and all. )t' >veg4< >veg1< >veg5< Linda axx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Manda - it's so nice to have you sounding a bit more positive. The effects of anaesthetics are often overlooked, I think. I have a neck injury too, and it has made me woolly headed and dizzy, affecting my sleep as well, so I hugely sympathise. Your new regime sounds a bit kinder to yourself.

Helen - I so get the eek moment! Mine was a photo a few months ago. I won't post on FB or anywhere else and chose to ignore what I look like until it's bearable to look in a mirror. Good luck with the trousers!

Linda - nice to have you back. I have also given up on SW as the online version wasn't motivating me at all. Not sure they've got that part right. My OH is also doing most of the cooking and keeps incorporating things that 'have hardly any syns'. True. But when all ont he same day.....

I have finally found a sympathetic GP and been put on HRT, which has helped loads and I'm sleeping better, which makes me more able to cope with other feats of willpower. I've yo-yo'd since my last post but settled out a further 2lbs down.

We've been given a cross trainer and have started gently doing a couple of minutes twice a day and after 2 weeks am up to 7 mins.

Have made grand claims before and not managed so will just keep trying to string good habits together and hope they make a difference.
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Hi everyonks how is the the war against weight going have we any success story's or are we hanging our heads in shame, I know I am {rofwl}

I really do have to get my finger out and get some )pg( pork (fat) shifted I am now on meds for my diabetes and am feeling crap pretty much most of the time.
There's only me who can do it so am having ago yet again !!!! so feel free to join me in my quest to find my hip bones under all this flab

Lindaxx
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Hi people last week I saw my diabetic nurse, she is new to our practice and she certainly knows what she is talking about, she had read through all my notes and so was clued up on me.
She is a lovely cockney lady and calls everyone darlin and, she has already won many patients hearts

My bloods are the highest they have been and there was talk of increasing my meds, but because I have been quite ill and missed a few of my tablets out .I am seeing her in 3 months to see if there is any improvement.

She has also asked me to follow a lower carb diet and referred my to a days workshop kind of thing which will teach me a lot about diabetes, I have got to say that I'm surprised I havn't been sent before.
Anyhow I do feel a lot more positive about living with my diabetes.

So if any one has any suggestions regarding diet or recipies I would be very greatfull to recieve them.
Since stopping going to slimiming world and doing it at home I have lost 3lb not much but going in the right direction.
I will have to reread the SW book and see what I can do it should be ok as people with diabetes have lost wieght on it
Any way thanks for reading yet another essay from me and good luck to any of you fighting the battle of the bulge :-D
Lindaxx
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Hello is there anybody out there {rofwl}
I have lost another 2 lbs slow and steady or the dripping tap method as I call it, as long as it comes off I'm happy. :-D
We get weighed at boots chemist or at junction 32 loos they are the same scales it's 50 and you get a print out.
Feel free to comment even if you arn't on the weight loss wagon at the momment :-D
Lindaxx
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Yes, Linda, I am here. {rofwl} Although I'm not on a weight loss plan, I am on a plan to stay fit, the same dedication is needed for both. You are doing really well. It's silly to try and diet weigh off quickly, yo yo weight loss is bad for you, I am not going to become a four minute mile runner by next week. As long as we keep going in the right direction, you losing a lb a week, me walking three miles a day.

I record my progress on my calendar, good idea for you to get the printouts from the scales. Keeping a record is helpful. Keep at it Linda, less naughty food, more healthy food.

Ilona
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

)wav( Hi Ilona thanks for the support {hug}
I think I've said before that I love your blog, and your videos make me chuckle specially the soup one {rofwl} you are a natural comedian.
I miss read the bit about a 4 minute mile I thought it said you were going to be a 4 minute mile runner by next week yike* {rofwl}
Lindaxx
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Well then folks are any of you making any attempts to lose some lard. :-D
I've lost just under half a stone since I last posted here but then again I'v been ill a lot since then {rofwl}
Lindaxx
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Hi Linda, I stopped posting on here because I was just charting my upwards yoyo attempts and felt a bit embarrassed about it.
At the end of June, OH and I both decided enough was enough, and it has bee really ehlpful that he's on board as well. I'm now just off 2 stone lighter than then, my heaviest ever, and he's lost just over 2st, The way we've done it is the keto diet (pretty much no carbs at all, and very like Atkins). Sadly, it brings me back to when I first started posting on here {cry} , but at least it's a positive move.
The real one involves counting grams of protein and fat, which we don't do. It's actually very similar in practice to the Easy SP days on SW, if that helps find nice recipes, but we don't have the low-cal versions. We have hardly ever been hungry, and eat loads of veg.
Not everyone agrees that this is healthy, but I feel better for losing the weight and think it's healthier in the long term to eat this way for a while and be a better weight.