Are eggs good or bad for us?

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
tortzblue
Lively Laner

Are eggs good or bad for us?

Post by tortzblue »

Having been told I have high LDL Cholesterol and my Dr said I should not have more than 3 eggs a week {warn} {cry} . I have been looking around on the web (as you do) and I'm thinking this is outdated advice. Eggs seem not to be the bad guys but it is the other stuff you eat. Have I got it wrong? Are eggs really so bad for us? It all seems so confusing!
Here are a couple of things I've found.
http://www.livescience.com/39353-eggs-d ... ation.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This next article positively raves about eating eggs!
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-bera ... 99583.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Has my Dr got it wrong? Can anyone explain, in plain English, what it's all about? >coc<
How many eggs do you eat, just out of interest?
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Re: Are eggs good or bad for us?

Post by albertajune »

Oh How I agree with you about being confused with outdated advice. :?
My understanding now is that eggs are fine as they contain the good fat. I think that if we eat a healthy diet without the processed foods, we should all be leaping about like spring lambs. First it was salt and fat, now sugar, which is found naturally in lots of fruit and veg. Go careful is the advice, but eat 5 a day still, just low sugar fruit.
Do we really want our lives to be so complicated!! I personally have decided that anything in moderation but avoiding ready cooked, processed foods where possible.
This doesn't help you I know, but getting a bee out of my bonnet. }hairout{
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Agreed, they seemed to always be a no no, but now it appears they're OK.

I think a lot depends upon which National Newspaper you read !!

I think that most of us who are still winning after half time don't really think about it too much. Looking back to what some of our diets were back in the 50's and 60's, it's amazing we're still here to tell the tale!!

I eat about 8 eggs a week.

I have high cholesterol, just take the Statins and get on with it (fingers crossed !!!).

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Timmo
Learner Laner

Post by Timmo »

Hi I am new to this site but have looked at it several times, this is my first posting!

Eggs are one of the most nutrient dense food items available and they will not elevate your LDL levels in fact they have been shown to lower LDL levels, I have a three egg omelette for breakfast every day along with a huge salad, I recently had my blood lipid profile tested (Cholesterol test!) and it came out at 6.4 which is high according to NHS guide lines but you need to look at you blood lipid profile not the overall number, mine was HDL (high density lipoprotein) just over three, LDL (low density lipoprotein) 2.48 and triglycerides 0.48 so if you look at the guidance my numbers are great but because the overall number is above the recommended level I was advised to see a health advisor about my lifestyle! I was told that I was obese but I have a body fat percentage of 9 and a very athletic (muscular body) bmi does not take in to account that muscle mass is heavier than fat mass, my blood pressure is an average of 109/61 with a resting heart rate of 48 I am very fit physically and at almost 51 not doing to bad, anyone worried about the Cholesterol levels should read The Great Cholesterol Con.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Timmo wrote:Hi I am new to this site but have looked at it several times, this is my first posting!

Eggs are one of the most nutrient dense food items available and they will not elevate your LDL levels in fact they have been shown to lower LDL levels, I have a three egg omelette for breakfast every day along with a huge salad, I recently had my blood lipid profile tested (Cholesterol test!) and it came out at 6.4 which is high according to NHS guide lines but you need to look at you blood lipid profile not the overall number, mine was HDL (high density lipoprotein) just over three, LDL (low density lipoprotein) 2.48 and triglycerides 0.48 so if you look at the guidance my numbers are great but because the overall number is above the recommended level I was advised to see a health advisor about my lifestyle! I was told that I was obese but I have a body fat percentage of 9 and a very athletic (muscular body) bmi does not take in to account that muscle mass is heavier than fat mass, my blood pressure is an average of 109/61 with a resting heart rate of 48 I am very fit physically and at almost 51 not doing to bad, anyone worried about the Cholesterol levels should read The Great Cholesterol Con.

Nice one Timmo. I think I am with you on this cholesterol con.
Michael
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Interesting Timmo and thanks.

Richard )t' )t (and welcome)
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
tosca100
Lively Laner

Post by tosca100 »

I believe eggs are very good for me. Why? Well I keep my own hens in good conditions, they lay happy eggs, I am vegetarian on a very tight budget so the eggs are a good source of food. Simple.

And what Timmo said! I am not obese, my big muscles are just a bit soft! {rofwl}
Because my memory is not brilliant......http://debrazzaman.blogspot.com/
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

tosca100 wrote:I believe eggs are very good for me. Why? Well I keep my own hens in good conditions, they lay happy eggs, I am vegetarian

Me too!
Michael