Anyone for power walking ?

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Re: Anyone for power walking ?

Post by Meanqueen »

Any walking is better than no walking, Richard, though it does need to be fairly brisk for it to have any benefits. Most people can walk an average of three mph, my little legs can do it in 50 minutes. I sometimes have the urge to jog a bit, so if I feel like it I add short bursts into the walk. Makes me huff and puff a bit and gets the old ticker pumping a bit harder. I have no desire to run the whole distance, don't want to knacker my knees up.

I pay particular attention to my posture, stand up straight, straight back, lengthen the strides, swing arms, and deep breaths. A bit like Nordic walking without the poles. I set out with the intention of making my muscles work a bit harder.

Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Only six miles to go to the finishing line. I had a boost last week with 24 miles walking in Derbyshire. Ought to think of some way to celebrate, maybe treat myself to a bar of chocolate. >ck< Or a cake.
Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

FINISHED

1000 miles walked in 2016. That's extra miles on top of my normal days walking.

I feel great, definitely feel the benefits. Don't feel like I'm 67 at all, reckon it has knocked years off me. I'm probably about 43, ha ha.

)c( )c( )c(

Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I have started this challenge again. Silly to not do it now I am feeling a lot fitter. Lots of people joining in on the blog, we will all be cheering each other on.

So back to pounding the tarmac. Yesterday 3 miles, today a 3 mile dog walk. )t'

Ilona
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Ilona, you may have noticed a fun-walk thread.
Some of us said we liked your idea but wouldn't get near 1000, so are setting our own targets. I'm sure you don't mind us copying.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Mo wrote:Ilona, you may have noticed a fun-walk thread.
Some of us said we liked your idea but wouldn't get near 1000, so are setting our own targets. I'm sure you don't mind us copying.

Good to see your fun walking thread is gaining followers, Mo. Every step counts.

I am going to set myself little challenges within the big 1000 miles challenge. On Monday I had three hours to spare in the afternoon, so I did three x 3 mile walks back to back. My regular route three time, from 2pm to 5pm, giving me a ten minute turnaround in between for a drink and toilet. I quite enjoyed that, knowing I had set myself that goal and achieved it. Need to build my stamina up for a longer walk.

Keep on trekking
Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Very pleased that I finished January on 100 miles, that was my target. 69 readers have signed up for it on my blog, they report in on the first of the month with their mileage. Some of them have got off to a good start.
Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Half way through the month now and I'm on 143 miles total. I missed two days because of rain, but managed a few extra miles on other days. I walked the five miles into town one day and got the bus back.

My walking buddies have organized a day walk in Yorkshire for the 24th, so that will bump it up a bit.

Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I've finished on 100 miles for February. As it was a short month I did a few extra miles on my village daily walks. I also did a walk in Yorkshire of twelve miles.

I aim to do 100 miles a month, which will see me finished in ten months, though March will be a lot more than that, walking every day for seven days.

Toodle pip
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I'm back. Seven days of constant walking, 8 - 9 hours a day. Setting off fast in the mornings, short breaks, slowing up in the afternoons as my feet were beginning to get sore. The last couple of hours of each day were hell but I pushed myself because I wanted to get the 136 miles done in seven days.

I don't need to walk at all now for the rest of March because I am well ahead of the target for 1000 miles in one year. I shall rest up today or maybe two days, then start again on my three mile fast walks around the village. I can't imagine myself not walking now, it's part of my routine.

Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I got to the end of March on 375 miles, chuffed with that. It would have been more but I had a few down days due to a twisted muscle in my leg. Better now, so onward and upward. Another nine months to go. :-D

Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I have been a bit under the weather the last couple of weeks. A cough, and my hip started to ache, but strangely only when I do the three miles around my village. I had a couple of longer walks, 11 miles and 9 miles, and no hip ache at all. :? It seems to have eased off now, today I did two x 3 miles, making the total 431. :-D Spose I can expect some aches and pains sometimes. I still think I am 27
>fi<

Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

It looks like I am on my own with this walking challenge, so what's new, I do a lot of things on my own. Health is back to normal, achey hip has gone, cough gone.

I finished April on 471 miles, so ahead of myself.

Ilona
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Are your blog followers joining in?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Mo wrote:Are your blog followers joining in?

Hi Mo. Yes, quite a lot of them are, I'm proud of them. Sixty four started at the beginning of the year, I ask them to check in on the first of the month with their miles. Although a few of them haven't, I hope they are still walking.

Their enthusiasm is very heart warming, they report how much better they feel, and how they are enjoying the challenge. Although some of them won't reach the 1000 miles I tell them that any walking is better than none. Even those with ailments are making an effort do do at least some walking.

Last year we had people with a range of abilities, from those who can only do a few miles a week, to those who were determined to put all their energy into it and go over the 1000 miles. Looks like the Meanqueen Walking Group is set to go on and on, and as I am a firm believer that regular walking, or any exercise, has enormous benefits for the the body and the mind, I am happy to bleat on about it.

Ilona