Anyone for power walking ?

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Re: Anyone for power walking ?

Post by Meanqueen »

Another boost to my miles. I did two days in East Yorkshire last week. Sewerby, Flamborough, Hunmanby, and Filey. Boy was it windy. 27 miles making my total 504. So just over the half way point and it's only early May. Getting a bit ahead of myself. :-D

Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Heading towards the end of May I am well ahead of target with my miles. The week in Wales got me an extra 46 miles, making 565 total so far. I am loving the numbers going up. It is tempting to take a few days off and do no walking, but it would be silly not to keep up the momentum. My walking is a lifestyle choice, it's part of my routine, I feel guilty if I don't do any, so it's onward and upward.

ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I have missed a few days walking this month because I am busy with other things. Not to worry, I am still ahead of the six month target. I will have more time after next weekend. Just reached the 600 miles, so if I can keep up the 100 a month I shall be finished at the end of October. It won't be the end of walking for me though, there is no finish line.

Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I reached the end of the month on 613 miles, so I really slowed up towards the end. There just wasn't enough time, had to get my garden ready for Open Gardens, then it was too hot, then it rained. Not to worry, still ahead with the miles. Managed 5 yesterday, and I think it's time for another holiday walkabout, so I am looking at where I want to go.

Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I am keeping this going in the hope that others might be inspired to take up the challenge of regular walking for health. Back from five days at Settle, walked 38 miles, taking the total to 671 miles.

Last year I did the 1000 miles by 17th December. This year I am ahead of that target so I have set a new target of 100 miles a month. It's easy at the moment because of the long days, and the weather, even though it can be variable, does have long periods with no rain. I choose the time I want to walk, by whatever else I am doing. Sometimes I do my three mile village walk in the morning, or sometimes at 8 - 9 pm at night. I can even go that late in the winter because the streets are well lit.

If anyone wants to take up the challenge of walking 1000 miles in one year here is the link to get you started. Although most people start on the 1st of January, you can start at any time. Give it a go.
http://www.livefortheoutdoors.com/walk1000miles/

Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Just noticed, I haven't updated this lately. I am now on 756 miles. I have a day walk planned in Derbyshire. That will boost it up a bit. I need to keep walking to get to 800 by the end of the month.

Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I woke up at 3.30am this morning, dozed a bit then got up and made a coffee. Sat in the chair, dozed a bit more, Heidi cat joined me. Then I got dressed and went a walk at 6am. The three miles has taken my total to 800, so I have reached my target. )app(

I'll have a day off tomorrow, and start the next hundred on September 1st.

Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I have just added 110 miles to my challenge walk which makes a total of 921. I did most of my Lakeland walk on the road so it was a fairly fast pace, except for the last mile or two, ha ha. When walking all day I find that frequent short breaks of ten minutes helps to give me an extra boost of energy and determination. I am reading everywhere at the moment about how beneficial exercise is, not only for the body but for the mind as well.

Ilona
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Meanqueen wrote:......I am reading everywhere at the moment about how beneficial exercise is, not only for the body but for the mind as well.

Ilona

Very true, you can feel it. Getting out in the fresh air, under the sky. A bit of sunshine works wonders.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I finished September on 938 miles, so I'm pleased with that. My blog readers have been reporting in with their miles, I must say they are making a great effort, some of them have already gone over the 1000 miles. It doesn't stop there though as this is ongoing. Walking to keep fit is not something to have a go at, it's a long term thing. It would be a shame to stop and undo all the good work. So we carry on.

Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Checking in. almost at the 1000 miles. 995 to be precise. Last week I did a 13 mile walk in Yorkshire with my buddies, so that boosted it up a bit. The weather is a bit hit and miss so I have to pick my times to go out. Pouring down with rain at the moment.

Ilona
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Well done, not very tempting outside at the moment, is it?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I hit the 1000 on the 24th October, now on my way to the next 100. Had a few days off, but now I need to step it up and walk my three mile route every day, no matter what. At least being flexible with the time of day I walk, I can hopefully find an hour when it is not raining. The wind has dropped for now, and it's not that cold yet.

Ilona
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

Congratulations MQ on 1000 miles!! Saturday is looking wet so put your feet up for the day!!
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

YAY :-D the last day of the month and I am on 1103. Phew, I made the 100 this month. One month left to the end of the year, all I have to do is another 100 miles and I have reached my target. On a three day walkabout in Dec, but, shorter days means fewer miles. I will have to be packing up about 4pm, it will be dark in the Derbyshire countryside. Best take a torch, just in case.

Ilona