Anyone for power walking ?

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Re: Anyone for power walking ?

Post by Meanqueen »

That's another year done. I finished on 1200 miles, made a real push towards the end to get there. This year I will be reverting back to the 1000 miles, that's enough to keep me fit. Although looking after my health is a priority, I have other hobbies that I want to do. Starting to paint pictures, it's all a learning curve.

Once again my blog readers are signing up for the Walking Challenge, I have 59 names down from all parts of the world. We are truly an International Walking Group now. I was pleased that 22 member reported in at the end of 2017 with their final miles. They did exceptionally well, some did more than me, but all around the 1000 mile mark. In some places the weather was a hindrance, too hot, too cold, stormy, freezing, snow, etc. But they stuck with it.

Off we go again for another year. It's raining as I look out of the window, when it stops I shall be back out there for the three miles around my village.

Ilona
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

\well done.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Sticking with the walking, target for January is 83.3. Today I am on 70 miles, so no slacking for the rest of this month. Must do three miles every day. )t'

Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Two months into the Challenge, and I have finished on 167 miles, so on target. I managed three miles today in the snow, a bit hard going, and probably added a few minutes extra on, but better to be careful and not fall over.

It's check in day tomorrow for the members of my Walking Group, wonder how they have been doing.

The target for three months, to the end of March, is 249 miles.

Ilona

Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

That's another month gone. The target for three months was 250 miles, with my recent jaunt added on my miles stand at 311, so I have a few in the bank now and can have some days off. :-D I will do my two mile walk around the village instead of three, for this month. The next target is 333 miles for the end of April, so that will be easy enough.

My International Walking Group members are checking in with their miles, it's good to see that they are still on board with it. )app(

Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

That's another month gone, my total now is 355 miles. Not as much as it should be because I have been slacking a little. Bad weather days, head too full of other things, excuses I know. Still more than the target of 333 miles for the first four months of the year, must not slide any further backwards.

The International Walking Group members on my blog are slow to check in today, hoping numbers will increase tonight when they wake up on the other side of the world.

The next target is 416 miles for the end of May. Must keep that figure in mind.

Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Well here we are on June the 1st, the months fly by. I have been slacking a bit with the walking during May, not done as many miles because I was ahead of target anyway. Now I must make more effort so I don't slip backwards.

I am on 430 miles, the next target is 500 by the end of June. If I do three miles a day that will give me 90 miles and take me to 520. I need to do that. Three miles takes me one hour, so I need to factor in 30 hours of walking during June. Something to aim for.

Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

We're at the half year mark now and I should be on 500 miles, but I'm not. Haven't quite made it, 493 to be precise. Excuses are, some extra dog walking, watering a friends very large garden hundreds of pots, preparing for the Open Gardens a lot to do, a day on the cat rescue stall at the summer fair, visit from relatives, coffee mornings with friend, and too darn hot. Never mind, not too far behind, can catch up during July.

International Walking Group members will be checking in later with their miles, as soon as I get the blog post written and published.

ilona
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I would be extremely proud of myself if I had managed half of those miles, MQ Well done to you. )app(
I am a bit dozy regarding the rules for walking clubs, but could you not add the dog walking miles to your figures?
Sorry if that is a really stoopid question and if you want to ignore me that's OK.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Gwenoakes wrote:
I am a bit dozy regarding the rules for walking clubs, but could you not add the dog walking miles to your figures?
Sorry if that is a really stoopid question and if you want to ignore me that's OK.

Not stupid. I have very few rules for my walking group, the aim is to get people up off their backsides and walk, however they choose to monitor their own mileage is up to them. Some do count every step with a fitbit or pedometer, which is ok as a bench mark to work with as long as they record their highs and lows.

Some do as I do, and put boots or trainers on and go out for a brisk walk for the exercise. Dog walking does not fulfill this aim for me, because the dogs I walk meander and stop to sniff. If someone is walking a big dog off lead on a longer walk they would get more exercise.

Some Ramblers groups do allow dogs to join in, as long as the dog can keep up, and navigate cumbersome stiles.

Each to their own.
ilona
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Thanks for clarifying that, MQ.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Oh lordy me, I'm short on miles for the end of July. I finished on 573 and the target was 583. Too hot to walk some days, I've been going out at night, but haven't always felt like it. The heat makes me tired and by the evening I'm finding it hard to get off my bum.

Must make more effort for August.

ilona
wendy

Post by wendy »

In that heat, I think you are excused boots for 10 miles )grin2(
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Ooops, just noticed, I have missed a month here. :oops: At the end of September the target is 750 miles. I am a lot short on that {cry} having been busy for four weeks, currently on 698. I am trying to make up the shortfall but I am not sure if I will reach 1000 :? by the end of the year. I'll give it a go but it will mean increasing my three miles a day walk, will have to try and make it five miles, or do some longer day walks.

ilona
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Hmm. I like targets but if they are high enough to mean anything they should also be flexible to cope with the other things in your life.
How many years have you been doing this? I suspect you've got a few 'extra' miles that you could carry over from previous years.
I started with an 'easy walk' target, but decided it was more important to keep to my 'learn the music for choir', 'dance' 'pick fruit' etc etc
In fact anything to keep me active and stop me spending all day at the computer keyboard. So that is what I record and target now.
If you keep to your monthly targets now maybe you can accept that you've let your craft targets win earlier.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire