Anyone for power walking ?

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Re: Anyone for power walking ?

Post by Meanqueen »

Hi Mo. This is my third year of the challenge. Year one I finished the 1000 miles in December. Year two I upped the target to 100 a month because I was finding it easy, and finished on 1200.

I want to keep to the target, and I think it's like anything you want to achieve it gets to a point when you reach a plateau, and the challenge loses it's appeal as your enthusiasm wains. I think this is happening to me now in year three. When I do a long walk I am fired up and keen on the first two days, then the weariness begins on day three and four, and it is difficult to focus mile after plodding mile. Then that phase passes and I begin to see that it will be possible to finish on target, so my determination returns and I put in extra effort.

In April I did six days of walking, 110 miles, that put me ahead, but I went a bit lazy after that having days off thinking I don't need to walk every day. Then I was working towards the art exhibition, that was my main focus, then I was away from home for nearly four weeks, and got behind.

I think it's important to have balance in my life, and physical activity comes pretty high up on my agenda. My mojo will return I know it. It's almost 7.30pm and I am going out now to do three miles.

ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

My monthly check in. I have managed to boost my October miles by doing a few longer walks. Still lagging a bit behind on the target though, but I have two months to get to that magical number of 1000 miles. Now on 816, so as long as the weather isn't rubbish every day I shall continue to get out on the good days. I don't go out in the pouring rain, but if I might get caught in a shower I'll be prepared for that. You never know, we might get a few sunny days.

ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Well here we are a month later, checking in. I have finished the 11th month on 907 miles. Only another 93 to do in December to reach my target. The weather isn't too good, raining a lot. I often leave the three miles I do almost every day, till the evening. Keep on keeping on, that's the answer. Toodle pip

ilona
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

You have done really well, MQ and I congratulate me, what an achievement, well done you.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

)c( >mmm< +f+ >fi< )hic(

Hooray.

I've finished the 1000 miles today. Mighty chuffed. Shall I do it again next year? Probably. Just going out now for a celebratory two mile walk around the village.

ilona
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

So now it's 1,002. Well done.
That's where I go wrong, it would have been a celebratory cup of tea for me. And maybe a little snooze.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

My International Walking Group members are checking in, they have all been walking, some of them have done more miles than I have. They are in it again for 2019, along with new members joining, 45 in total so far. They have to check in and update their miles on the first of every month. Some of the comments are so inspiring, if I may paste one here.

Hello to the walking group, Happy New Years! Thank you Ilona for this wonderful group activity. This is my third year of walking. For 2018 I walked 683 miles. I walked less this year but went to the gym regularly to improve my strength, balance and flexibility, I am 62.

Ilona, you always mention the health benefits of walking and I would like to emphasize your comments. I started walking a bit more than three years ago, was 30 pounds overweight and out of shape. I joined your group and did each day what I could, whether it was to the neighbors house or 1/4 mile. Now I walk every day and I credit walking with my weight loss and improved health. So for anyone considering this group, you don’t need to start at 1,000 miles a year, start at 100 steps today and see where it takes you.

Proud of them all. )t'
ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Gone up to 53 overnight. People are always full of good intentions at the beginning of the year, some of them will fall along the wayside after a few months. Some will focus on the positives of walking and will see it through.

Whatever goals you set yourself, whatever challenges you make for yourself, good luck for 2019.

ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Here we go again. New year, new challenge. One month gone already, and we have 63 people signed up on the blog for our International Walking Group Challenge. I was considering not doing quite so many miles this year, but with the members being so enthusiastic, I have to join them. So another 1000 miles it is. We all report in on the first of every month with our numbers. They are all responsible for measuring their own distances. I have done 84 miles this month, so onward and upward.

ilona
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Well done to your members, but there is nothing magical about a particular number. You could perhaps demonstrate flexibility and encourage the members who are aiming at a lower target by setting yourself a different target, or a part power / part dog stroll mileage.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Flexibility was decided right at the start, they know they only have to do what they can. The 1000 is a benchmark for those who want to push themselves, everyone else can choose their own challenge. The point of it is to get everyone doing some exercise, better than doing none at all. They motivate and support each other by reporting their progress monthly.

ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Two months into the year, and I finished on 180 miles, so 14 more than the target of 166. Gives me a good start to March.

ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I'm still doing the 1000 mile challenge, my fourth year. Finished the first five months on 431, heading for 500 at the half way stage. I had a holiday in Cornwall recently so that helped to bump up the miles.

ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Checking in one month later. yes I did get to 500 miles. Now to start the next 500. Time flies when you are enjoying yourself. >mmm<

ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Approaching the end of the month and I am on target for the seven month mark, having walked 594 miles so far. Got a new walking buddy, he has been coming out on my 3 mile local walk the last few weeks because he wants to get fit again after a long time of doing no exercise.

ilona