Vitamin D Deficiency?

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Vitamin D Deficiency?

Post by fabindia »

A follow on from my slightly controversial thread on B12, this is a vitamin D thread.

Just in the winter, I take vitamin D. Vitamin D is produced naturally in the skin by exposure to sunlight. The problem with us living in northerly latitudes is that the sun is strong enough and doesn't shine enough in the winter to top up our vitamin D levels. As a result there is a real danger of winter related vitamin D deficiency.

The should I take a supplement issue is slightly clouded by the government advice to avoid getting sunburn. As I understand it the advice is that we should expose arms and legs to direct sunlight but avoid getting red or certainly burned. So a bit of warning to us sun worshipers :-D
Michael
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Re: Vitamin D Deficiency?

Post by KathJ »

Hello, I've just started to take Vitamin D suppliments too. I burn really easily in the sun and have had a couple of Basel Cell Carcentomas removed from my face (one just before Christmas and my dad has had loads!). This has made me paranoid about not being in the sun (although I love the warmth from the rays!!). If it's sunny I smother myself in Factor 50 and wear a Factor 50 facial moisuriser every day even though I'm mostly in doors but this has in turn lead me to worry about the Vitamin D issue. I think it's just getting a balance, I have half an hour for lunch each day and tend to go for a walk, hopefully this will be sufficient on my arms and neck to get the required Vitamin D during the summer months.
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

I started taking a Vit D supplement a couple of years ago as I really don't get outside enough in general, so thought it wouldn't do any harm to take a low dose, although I am thinking perhaps I'm not getting enough as there is only 5 μg in each dose.

I do recall seeing a TV programme about it once that it's important to expose as much of your body as possible, assuming it's warm enough. I this it was on Oprah, must have been that Dr Oz guy she has on there. He said if you just expose your extremities you won't get as much Vit D as if you stripped down a bit more :-D
Lyn
Lively Laner

Post by mardatha »

My hubby has pernicious anaemia and I learned on the PA forums that lack of vitD can cause so many things... we started taking high dose supplements about 5 years ago now, and he hasn't had a cold since. I used to get flu every single year - even after getting the vaccine - but when I got swine flu (and was panicking) it was very mild and lasted only a week. A doctor on the PA forum said that in Scotland nobody gets enough vitD and that's why we have the highest rates of MS in the world, and that Norway had started giving vitD routinely. He also said that to get enough natural vitD from sunlight we would need 20 minutes in the sun every day of the year. No chance up here!
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

This has become very topical for me as an old friend has MS, and has been prescribed 10,000ITUs a day - fairly mega dose - and her symptoms seem reasonably well controlled. She says the deterioration has slowed since she started taking it. She also said that she'd been told nobody in Scotland gets enough vitD from sunlight.
I have made the most of the weather this last week and been in the garden. I've found I've been feeling ridiculously more energetic and lively. I'm not sure whether the effect is from increased sunlight or just being outside and active, but am going to try and carry it on as a habit. Our little cottage is made to keep out the weather up on our little eerie here, so light levels indoors are low - I find myself feeling depressed and sleepy, so this burst of energy and positivity has been a bit of a shot in the arm.
I suppose the rules are about moderation in all things - not to much sun and not too much vitD either,as there can be unpleasant side effects.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Yes I do agree that being active outside in the sunshine can be very cheering.
But then the days that tempt you out lead to the next day asking the question - shall I take antihistamine or put up with the sniveling? So I tend to limit it.
I do cover up - I burn easily and react badly to stings, so long sleeves and socks.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
mardatha
Lively Laner

Post by mardatha »

I've been out all week, although that easterly wind has been really cold at times. A big woolly jumper has helped. and the sun was worth it )grin2(
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

We've started taking Vitamin D tablets this spring. The lengthy virus I had at the beginning of the year was the prompt to start dosing, and we both have a pill at lunch time. Interesting to read about the lack of sunlight and MS.

Hello Mercedes, nice to see you again!
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I have been looking into Vit D supplement for our Grandaughter who we think and she is seeing the Paediatrician tomorrow the 10th is Autistic.
What I have read so far is that you can overdose on it with consequences and the only way to know if you need an extra boost is to have regular blood tests. Also read some years ago that if you bare your middle that is the best way to pick up the sun and hence Vit D.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Gwenoakes wrote:Also read some years ago that if you bare your middle that is the best way to pick up the sun and hence Vit D.

We get plenty of sun here :-D
Michael
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

I know this is quite an old thread but I just thought I would post an update about my own experience of taking a VitD supplement.
I had some blood work done last month and asked if I could also have my VitD levels tested as even though I have carried on taking a supplement all year round, I don't sit out in the sun and I generally spend far more time indoors than outside.
Imagine my surprise when I went to my GP for the results and was told my VitD level was borderline high and I was told to stop taking supplements right away or I risked getting kidney stones. I'm quite surprised it's higher than it should be and it's made me wary of supplements now yike*
Lyn

Post by Gwenoakes »

I have also heard that you can OD on vit D, Mercedes. I think the doctor told Terry when he said he needed to take it as his level was low even though he works outside at least 5 days a week.
The doctor thought the reason for it being low is that he covers himself in suncream and wears a hat, ever since having skin cancer removed some years ago. Even then he has had it come back even after all the cream etc.
A vit D deficiency can make you depressed as well, which is why Terry went to the doctors in the first place and why his level was checked.
By the way Mercedes, nice to see you back. )t'
mardatha
Lively Laner

Post by mardatha »

I think a lot depends on the accuracy of the NHS range. "HIGH" might not really be high when you realise that the recommended daily dose of 400iu was set in the 1920s to prevent rickets. Maybe that was acceptable then but it isn't now. I've been taking a high dose vitD3 supplement for over 5 years. I get tested once a year, my levels are in the 800s and I'm fine.