B12 Deficient

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
fabindia
Legendary Laner

B12 Deficient

Post by fabindia »

I had my B12 levels checked when I was back in UK and they came back as low. I then had a test to make sure it wasn't pernicious anemia, were the body doesn't absorb B12 correctly, which fortunately was negative. Also, I hadn't got to the stage were I was feeling any ill effects.

Taking a supplement, together with daily Marmite on toast, has brought my B12 levels up to scratch again pretty quickly.

I always have been pretty thoughtful about what we eat; lots of fresh food and little processed food but I am vegetarian. I am pleased there is an increasing interest in being vegetarian or indeed vegan but it goes to show you have to be aware that you still need to supplement your diet with B12, especially as you get older and the body becomes less efficient at absorbing it.
Michael
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: B12 Deficient

Post by Mo »

What else has B12? Not that I mind eating Marmite, but maybe not every day as that would exclude other treats
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Pleased you have got your levels up Michael. Marmite - yuk.

OH took B12 when he was having chemo.

Stay well.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Mo wrote:What else has B12? Not that I mind eating Marmite, but maybe not every day as that would exclude other treats

I also had bran flakes for breakfast as these are often fortified with B12 - check the label. Also, I am vegetarian, not vegan, so low-fat milk, yogurt, cheese, and eggs contain varying amounts of B12.

I have read about people who stopped being vegetarian or vegan because they felt their health was suffering. The bottom line is that there is no fundamental reason why that should be so, you can certainly get all the protein and nutrients from a pant based diet (apart from B12 that is) but you do have to be conscious of what your diet consists of.
Michael
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

A friend who has been veggie for decades recently found that she had very low B12. Quite a long while back she was diagnosed with MS, which flares sporadically, but is usually pretty mild. The B12 was missed because it was assumed her symptoms were the MS, but now she's wondering if it isn't the other way around. We're watching to see.
Even if it isn't, I find it worrying how little both we and our medics are taught about nutrition, and wonder how many other diseases are actually dietary problem - even in the west.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Freeranger wrote:Even if it isn't, I find it worrying how little both we and our medics are taught about nutrition, and wonder how many other diseases are actually dietary problem - even in the west.

Interestingly that the vegan diet is being actively promoted as the way to combat climate change (because of the industrialized method of rearing animals for the dairy and meat market as well as methane emissions) I had not considered Vitamin B12 before but on looking it up, does show that it is not available in a plant based diet and vegans need to take supplements (some bacteria produce B12 so does not come from an animal source)
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I have an injection every 3mths because of being B12 deficient. I have tried to find out what foods are a good source of this vit and do eat healthy. Mine is probably to do with old age so have to go along with the treatment. I will start eating Marmite and see if this helps. Quite nice on toast.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

albertajune wrote:I have an injection every 3mths because of being B12 deficient. I have tried to find out what foods are a good source of this vit and do eat healthy. Mine is probably to do with old age so have to go along with the treatment. I will start eating Marmite and see if this helps. Quite nice on toast.

Hi June,

Besides having a vitamin B12 level test, I had another test (for intrinsic factor antibodies), basically a test for pernicious anemia), which, because this condition prevents the absorption of B12, causes sever anemia. In this case, no matter how much B12 you have in your diet, it won't help and people with this condition have to have B12 injections.

You are probably like me, just getting that bit older, when the body isn't as good at absorbing B12 as it once was anyway and so extra B12 in your diet may well help.
Michael
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

I had not considered Vitamin B12 before but on looking it up, does show that it is not available in a plant based diet and vegans need to take supplements (some bacteria produce B12 so does not come from an animal source)

I actually knew this and so did she. She thought she'd been doing all the right things and was shocked to find it hadn't been enough. That's why I think it needs medics to be more aware.
Marmite can be snuck into all kinds of things to help. A spoonful in gravy/stews/casseroles, in sauces or on toast under scrambled egg for example.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Just realised that OH is still taking B12 vitamins.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I have got a very low vitamin count - 45, when it should be over 150. Had my first injection today. We are keeping the NHS on their toes.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Spreckly wrote:I have got a very low vitamin count - 45, when it should be over 150. Had my first injection today. We are keeping the NHS on their toes.

Glad it has been found. )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.