Frustrated with medical care

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Frustrated with medical care

Post by albertajune »

At the moment I am feeling so frustrated at the response from my medical centre.
Last July I started getting cystitis symptoms which I tried treating myself. Eventually at the beginning of August I had to go to see a GP and took a urine sample which showed bacteria. Put on antibiotics for 3days but still felt the same although bacteria now gone. Saw a different doctor who suggest I take strong doses of bi-carb in water a few times a day. No different so saw another GP. On trying to exam me I looked so inflamed that she did not do the exam but put me on HRT insertions for 3mths. Sent for a scan to see if I had a hernia and yes I have. Still very uncomfortable when passing urine and blood seen in urine, although not to the naked eye, so in Dec sent for another scan which luckily didn't show up anything bad. On Jan 7th I saw another GP who decided that I need to be examined internally with a camera as I still have cystitis like symptoms and would refer me to the hospital.
This morning I phoned the urology dept to see when I might hear from them to be told that they didn't have a referral and to phone the GP. I spoke to a secretary who said that although it was on my record to be referred he hadn't done so. She would see him to send of the referral but as the urology dept is so busy it might be a long wait to hear from them. I did contact them again and it depends on how urgent the GP thinks it is as to how long I must wait. It was suggested that I phone them again on Friday to make sure he has had time to do it. I am so uncomfortable and feel so helpless.
I know that no one here can offer advice but I feel so low that I needed to talk to someone and get it off my chest.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: Frustrated with medical care

Post by Gwenoakes »

June, you really have all my sympathy with this nasty ailment.
As you will maybe remember I had this Christmas week and ended up on antibiotics for 7 days.
You say you had antibiotics for 3 days, which I cannot understand. Whenever I have been given antibiotics for anything it has either been a 5, 7 or 10 day supply, but never a 3 day supply.
Also years ago I was plagued with cystitis and actually joined a club for it. Some of the things they suggested was never to drink coffee other than when you have an attack, not to wear nylon pants, tights or trousers, then drink strong coffee with Bicarbonate of soda in it and it does help a bit, but is not long lasting. It also tastes absolutely foul.
I could be totally wrong with what I am about to mention and you will need to check it out, but in the back of my mind I seem to remember there is a type of cystitis that is stress related and not an infection. I never looked further into this as mine was and always has been an infection that did respond to antibiotics. I know years ago the type of antibiotics for urinary problems took anything up to 72 hours to get into your system. I distinctly remember being miffed with this period of time.
My infections got that bad at one point that it tracked up into my kidneys, now that was very painful, but it only happened the once.
Also just as a foot note when/if you get antibiotics count the number of pills/capsules you are given and make sure you are given the correct amount for the number of days, there is always an element of human error to allow for.
The reason I say this is Terry years ago kept getting tonsillitis that put him on his back and they were talking of taking his tonsils out. For some unknown reason I counted the pills in the last prescription and it was one short, so got the one from chemist. Terry never has had tonsillitis since. Whether that was connected or not I do not know, but it seemed rather a strange coincidence if it wasn't.
I would keep pushing the doctor and hospital, as only you know how you feel and unfortunately in this day and age you are the one that needs to make them understand.
I wish you luck, June and will be thinking of you. {hug&kiss}
Just one more thing, drinks loads of water.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Hi June, I hope you're feeling a bit better. Being in pain is so demoralising.
I know this is a bit late - I've just seen the post. Other advice a friend was given was to keep dosed up with pain killers. Apparently it's fine to alternate ibuprofen and paracetamol, halving the time between hits of painkillers. I'd check this with your pharmacist in case there's a reason why you, personally, shouldn't do that.
You can also get over the counter products for cystitis that alter the pH (acidity/alkalinity) of the urine so it's less painful. If you also drink lots of water it keeps it less concentrated, which has the same effect, and helps to flush any bacteria.
These might be worth considering if you're still waiting for your appointment.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I have an appointment on Mch 12 for a camera to see if I have a problem in my urinal system. Except for my initial doctor's appointment last August when bacteria was found and I was given 3 days of antibiotics, urine has been clear except for traces of blood.
I do drink a lot so will ne relieved when it is actually looked at. Fingers crossed easily cured.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.