Is anyone stocking up on necessities

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Re: Is anyone stocking up on necessities

Post by albertajune »

Gwen I do understand that if some people live in country areas and have to travel a distance to the shops they may need to buy more and shop less often. When the supermarket is nearby and we know that there is a problem with stock it does make me cross to see some trolleys full of certain things when others cannot buy their normal weekly need.
We have been told that shops have enough stock in but that will soon go if the demand is so great in the first few days.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I think there is a difference between buying a large amount of loo rolls, which will then last for several weeks, perhaps months. I have done this from a shop which I do not use regularly, and they last and last. But some people are being selfish and greedy as June has said, and I think the supermarket staff should set a limit on how many packs of anything shoppers can buy.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

On Friday I was in a pharmacy next door to a large supermarket waiting for my (routine) prescription medicine being made up when a woman called in and asked if they had paracetamol because the supermarket had run out. The pharmacist said they had but were limiting people to one pack of 16 per customer. Yesterday I popped in to 3 different shops - my 2 local mini supermarkets had plenty in but obviously not cheap but when I went to do my big shop at a big supermarket, the cheap supermarket brand flu remedy, paracetamol and ibuprofen shelves were completely empty. I don't think it is so much "panic buying" (you are supposedly restricted in how many you can buy in any one purchase but I suppose if worried you might do multiple purchases) but may be a case of supply as reported in the newspapers a couple of days ago.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I do understand what you are saying, June.
But to take one point, yes we live a way off a local supermarket, but the supermarket we do visit is in a town surrounded by close villages, so I definitely would not be able to tell if someone was coming from way off to shop or was a local, not unless I asked them. So really you cannot tell until you ask if you see what I mean.
I think Izal should make a come back, if anyone can remember it.
As far as the Paracetamol goes, LL here in Lincolnshire the shelves have been empty both in supermarkets and small shops for months now and has doubled in price. I do not think it is anything to do with stock piling because of the virus tbh. Not sure what it is though, possibly some would say Brexit.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

No stock piling here in Thailand.

It does sound pretty silly as the effect of this Corona virus is probably going to be far less than is being hyped up. I am not saying it isn't serious but the majority of people who get it will get better and it will be no worse than having mild flu or a cold.
Michael
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Gwen - we were talking about Izal yesterday. I grew up with it and/or newspaper squares.
But it would be better than nothing yike*
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Spreckly wrote:Gwen - we were talking about Izal yesterday. I grew up with it and/or newspaper squares.
But it would be better than nothing yike*

I remember being taken short when I was a child out playing and dock leaves were very good, a lot softer than Izal and did a good job if my memory serves me correctly.
When I was small I was in charge of cutting up the newspaper. I never had white pants either as the print off the newspaper used to make them black. {rofwl}
Looking back we were even recycling then all those years ago. )t'
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Gwenoakes wrote:When I was small I was in charge of cutting up the newspaper.

I have a vague memory of newspaper sheets cut to size hanging on a piece of string in our outside toilet ... I was only a toddler back then
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I have just had a LOL moment and it was right in the middle of me doing quotes and invoices...….obviously my mind is not on my work...…...
Can you imagine the children of today using newspaper or Izal that you had to scrunch up to make it a little bit softer? They would run away in horror and get in the NSPCC or similar for cruelty. {rofwl} {rofwl}
Would love to see it though.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Makes you wonder how we ever managed but we did. We didn't even have an inside toilet and no running hot water to wash hands. My job was to tear up the news paper into squares and put them on a string. We did have the Izal rolls when mum shopped but soon ran out with a family of 5. The kettle was always on the hob but not sure us kids always did the right thing and washed our hands.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

albertajune wrote:We didn't even have an inside toilet and no running hot water to wash hands. My job was to tear up the news paper into squares and put them on a string. .

We had an outside toilet when I was growing up and newspaper on a string too!

Even when we got married in 1977, we had a little one up, one down rented house with an outside loo and a shower in the kitchen that ran off the gas heater.

Not saying we should go back to that but we survived and in all honesty were probably a lot happier than the smart phone generation of today.
Michael
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

In my first job I shared a rented terrace with 2 up, 2 down one outside. Discovered that the bath (under the stairs in the kitchen) had no connection from the plughole to the hole in the floor that led the water to a pipe under the lean-to conservatory to wash across the yard to a drain in the far corner.
The outside loo had a latch on the outside of the door that sometimes swivelled shut while you were inside (luckily the door didn't fit well either, so you could slip something though to let yourself out). And it froze in winter.
Luckily the landlord took pity on 2 helpless females and came round to put a nightlight in the loo, and to unblock the bath-pipe when the water washed the kitchen floor instead of the yard.

All mod cons. 1 cold tap, a spin dryer and a Baby Burco. If you wanted a bath you stood the BB on the spin dryer to push the hot water across the kitchen.
And it was best to dry the laundry on the rack over the bath. Stockton -on -Tees didn't have very clean air back in the 60s. The raindrops stained your mac.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Thinking of toilet rolls. I read an article - some Australians have found an eco friendly alternative.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Just imagine everyone that stocked up on loo rolls paying 1 pound a roll.
THEN THE PRICE DROPS AS NO ONE NEEDS IT.
Now the price becomes 50 pence .
Who is clever the one that over stocked and or the one that bought what they need.
Look at the fuel.
Beginning of week and now .
I will fill up weekend as normal saving at the moment 2 pence a litre . Weekend could be another 2 pence off.
Stagnation and decrease in costs.
CASH will become KING.
History in the making .
Bob
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

bikesandbirdsbob wrote:Look at the fuel.
Beginning of week and now .
I will fill up weekend as normal saving at the moment 2 pence a litre
Bob

I have noticed the price of petrol has been dropping over the past couple of months - prices after the New Year near here started to rise and were about £1.27p/litre but today as I passed the filling station it was £1.14p/litre. I am not however, making a saving as my travelling distance has increased due to a major bridge that was closed in Nottingham - I used the bridge over the River Trent to get to and from work but have now had to go via the motorway to avoid it and although the lanes on my home journey are still in use, the opposite closed lanes has created traffic jams coming out of the city and alternate routes so adding an extra hour and half to my journey every day. And that means using more fuel so I am thankful the price has been dropping but I need to fill up more often so I haven't seen any savings.

bikesandbirdsbob wrote:CASH will become KING.

Cash also harbours the virus picked up from other people so using your card (especially if you can just touch the screen with it rather than have to enter the pin number on the keyboard) are probably better.

Today's shopping - I managed to get some Ibuprofen from my local mini supermarket but all the big supermarkets and corner shop just had bare shelves. No paracetamol, ibuprofen, aspirin or cold & flu remedies. I called in at Tescos and noticed some items were low on the shelves but generally I was able to get the few things I wanted. However, at Asdas, everyone was talking - all the toilet rolls, paper towels, painkillers, pasta, rice, frozen stuff were all gone. It really looked like something seen on the news happening to countries abroad. One of the till girls said it was busiest at 5 o clock this morning more than they normally get peaking later in the day for a Saturday. I think the shift in news of pandemic has hit a lot of people.