Is anyone stocking up on necessities

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Is anyone stocking up on necessities

Post by Spreckly »

My oldest son, who lives in an isolated place has just put a photo on facebook of all the items they have bought in case of emergencies. I won't name the emergency, which is on all the news items at present.

But is anyone else going down this route? I don't think that I will do more than my normal weekly shop, but I am trying to stock up on dog food for Angel, she wouldn't appreciate my normal diet!
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Re: Is anyone stocking up on necessities

Post by albertajune »

I will just do my normal shop but make sure that I buy anything that is running low. I think that people stockpiling will cause a huge problem and make things worse. The only thing I will get extra of is bread flour as bread is one of the first things to run out and maybe a tin of milk powder.
This coronavirus is being treated like the plague and unfortunately many will get it although most mildly. I am a bit concerned as I have asthma and am old but will live my life as normal just taking care. It is in my area, Reading, but as yet seems to be under control. A nurse has told me that the flu season is just about to start and we don't panic about that even though the percentage of deaths is higher with that than coronavirus so far.
Roll on warm weather and it will be gone.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I won't be "stockpiling" but will stock up the cupboard as usual - I tend to have about 3 weeks of food in the house (in the freezer or in the cupboard) except fresh like bread or fruit/veg and when things get financially tight, it comes into its own until pay day. I usually stock up anyway about this time of year as I'm not paying council tax or water rates at the moment but come April, it is a shock to the bank account especially when everything else goes up in price at the same time as well.

This morning's news mentioned some things may get in short supply because other countries are slowing down on production / export so it might be an idea to get a little extra in as a precaution (again, not panic buying but just being sensible)
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I don't live near big supermarkets and I do keep a good stock anyway. Nice bread in the freezer, frozen veg and all the fruit I've grown. I restock before I open the last pack of anything, or buy plenty when there is a special offer.
You've made me think. I have a milk delivery once a week, the 2 litres lasts 5 days so I buy another 2l from co-op (cheaper) and freeze part. In summer I cancel the delivery as it doesn't keep well. Milk rounds could well be hit. But no point keeping it in the freezer for many weeks, it goes funny - been caught that way before.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Not stockpiling. Just buying things as normal when I run out. . I bought an extra packet of macaroni cheese. I often buy two of something rather than just one. Only exception is cat food which I buy more of when it's on offer.

ilona
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

We're quite remote, and also prone to being snowed in so we do tend to stock up dry goods etc so we can live off porridge and the like for a while if necessary. I have flour and yeast, and have just had a little flirtation with bread-making: home made actually doesn't last any time at all! I wouldn't be inclined to stock up any more than we have done: I don't think it's serious enough yet or that it's good for the community or economy to cause false shortages.
wendy

Post by wendy »

No Just normal shop.
I may get the dogs some more food.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I confess to getting more dog food in. There is normally a couple of weeks supply of bread and milk in the freezer as well.

Doing my normal weekly grocery shopping tomorrow.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

We decided months ago to stock up on food, also other household items. The reason being is that our savings are not getting a very good rate of interest, so thought we would take advantage of special offers as we have always done, but in a much larger format.
We are both still working, but even so it annoys us that we have saved all our lives and now what with the poor pay out from the pensions and the lower interest rates we would claw back some pennies where and when we could.
So we are stocking up on necessities and other things but not because of this virus that is going round.
Another added bonus is that we do not need to go shopping every week, so therefore save on petrol/travel time as well and we can both have more 'me' time, which is in short supply with working and having Grandaughter every day after school.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I agree. I certainly wouldn't want to 'go shopping' every week. Nip into co-op after choir to see what's reduced and top up (that shop is just round the corner so no petrol)
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi I think that another point is if you live on a small budget where do you get the extra need cash etc to pay for the things you wanted to stock with .
Another point is that if the shops are empty the poor shop lifters will not be able to dip and run . Save the shops a fortune.
I have a funny sense of humour , but the thing it is a serious matter ,
A lot of people will be in trouble and I can see the food banks in a future time getting even serious over loaded .
thoughts go out to them .
Wonder how many countries will rush to assist us .
Bob
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I read somewhere that loo rolls are scarce in some shops yike* yike* I normally buy large packs, a photo of newspaper was attached to the post, which I now remember was on facebook.

I have got three bags of dog food in now, but no other extras.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I did a normal shop today and as predicted short on loo rolls. My supermarket was filling the loo roll shelves for the 3rd time this afternoon. Trouble is, when the store room is empty there will be none to buy. I don't think they should allow the massive bulk buying. I saw one lady with 3 packs of 9 rolls. Greedy and selfish if all for her.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Its going on all over the world, empty shelves & people queuing for toilet paper! Kleenex said they are working 24hours a day trying to keep up with demand. For goodness sake, how is toilet paper going to protect us or help us recover? My friend & I were imagining people answering the door wrapped up like mummies for protection!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

albertajune wrote:I did a normal shop today and as predicted short on loo rolls. My supermarket was filling the loo roll shelves for the 3rd time this afternoon. Trouble is, when the store room is empty there will be none to buy. I don't think they should allow the massive bulk buying. I saw one lady with 3 packs of 9 rolls. Greedy and selfish if all for her.

Well June, it is a good job you do not live in good old Lincolnshire as I have been known to buy 4 x 9 packs of loo rolls in one hit and then not purchase any for weeks.
I have been called greedy and selfish on occasions when we would not do roofing work on houses because of health and safety, but never for purchasing larger amounts of household items/food before, well not that I know of anyway.