Corona virus ... this sounds sensible to me

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Corona virus ... this sounds sensible to me

Post by Mo »

kitla wrote:I was thinking of it for when out & about instead of hand gel (which we cant buy atm) not as a replacement for a proper hand wash.

If you would be prepared to carry hand gel around, how about a squirty bottle of water and a small piece of soap, to use outside.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

at work we are preparing to close down and plans are being drawn up - I saw on the news this morning that already a few other universities have decided to close and there are known cases of infection in Nottingham so things may change quite quickly. However, the information passed on at the moment seems to be more academic related and working from home but there's been nothing about the professional services. Everyone thinks of universities as teaching institutions but they also have research facilities so at the moment I'm not sure what will happen.

On another note, a couple of weeks ago my friends had arranged a meal out on the 25th March ... I am seriously thinking of pulling out as it makes sense not to tempt fate.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

If you would be prepared to carry hand gel around, how about a squirty bottle of water and a small piece of soap, to use outside.[/quote]

I did think of that one, Mo, but then thought again because it would get so messy. Then I thought of putting some soap in a bottle of hot water, letting it dissolve and then using that, but not quite sure if that would be enough to fend off the virus tbh.

Thanks for that explanation, LL although to think if we do the right thing to prevent one virus/bacteria and effectively encourage another is not too good, unless I have misunderstood what you wrote.

Will you get paid if your either laid off or work from home, LL?
We usually go to 60's gigs which get quite hot and sweaty, lots of sweaty Betty's dancing round. LOL
But we have not gone to any for a while now and will not as I would not purposely want to infect either myself or others.

We may have a problem if schools shut down as we pick up our Grandaughter every day after school, have her in school hols and also like this weekend she is here from Fri night to Mond morning while our daughter has a break. If schools were to shut down that would mean we would have her for a minimum of 5 days a week while our daughter works and I am not too sure whether I could cope as well as working tbh.

Our Grandaughters mum is starting as a manager at one of the local care homes next Weds, so a little bit concerned about that too.

We will just have to bide our time and wait and see how it all pans out.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Gwenoakes wrote:Thanks for that explanation, LL although to think if we do the right thing to prevent one virus/bacteria and effectively encourage another is not too good, unless I have misunderstood what you wrote.

I wouldn't be too worried about it - after all, you don't instantly throw your towels into the washing machine after a single use normally so more a case of being sensible. Hence, if using the flannel is just a make shift wipe your hands in case you had picked up the virus thing and you still washed your hands thoroughly when you have opportunity, then I suppose it is better than nothing.

Gwenoakes wrote:Will you get paid if your either laid off or work from home, LL?

My place of employment before coronavirus, already had work from home opportunities (usually management for example, preparing for appraisals without constant disruptions) but although I could get on with some online computing (I have a big task to move from a paper based system to electronic as part of the climate change sustainability challenge - I have gradually been moving a lot of documents out of my drives such as my training course material as well as health and safety to an online system to make it more accessible to others rather than print them out), my job as a whole is mainly to do with bench work and working with students and researchers. The biggest problem with the online idea is that my home broadband might not be up to the task compared to the more industrial system we have at work. For example, uploading documents at work can take say 2-3 seconds but at home might be up to 5 minutes + per document (even slower if more people are likely to be using broadband whether because of work at home or entertainment) and I have well over 5000 documents to upload. Each document needs to be checked against the database as well as update information from known online sources (some of the original documents are due for review which is why I decided to do the upload at the same time) hence why it is taking me so long and something I would normally do inbetween my other tasks.

I imagine that salaries will continue in the short term if the closure is initiated by the employer rather than employees deciding to not come in. And with the government telling people to stay at home for 7 days if they showed symptoms of fever and uncontrolled coughing, then this is covered by statutory sick pay. However, until the government tells employers what to do, what happens if there is a full blown quarantine is still unknown. I'm probably in a better position working in education than say someone working in industry.