Coronavirus precautions

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Coronavirus precautions

Post by Spreckly »

I have heard various lengths of time for leaving letters after they arrive, before touching the envelope, similar for metal objects, ie gate latches, plastic wheelie bins. Can anyone tell me if there is an official time limit for these items, please.

I have been swabbing (with a bleach mixture) my wheelie bin handles, gate latches, and leaving my letters well over an hour in the box.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Re: Coronavirus precautions

Post by fabindia »

I don't it is exactly known how long corona can survive on surfaces. I heard up to a few days on surfaces such as plastic, wood and metal. UV light does appear to kill it.

I think you are right to be careful. There may be relatively little risk but just the same better safe than sorry.
Michael
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thanks Michael. Hope you are settling in OK.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

There seems to be some contradictory advice online. One said a particular kind of UV.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I pick up the post off the carpet in the hallway, wash where it has laid with anti bac wipes, then wipe the letterbox inside and out, the door handles on the front door , the door handles and door on the porch inside and out and then for good measure when I come in I wipe the step up into the hall along with opening the letters and wiping each side of the pages, including the insides of the envelopes and then finally bin envelopes in plastic bag and then wipe all surfaces where letters have been on the kitchen tops.
Then...…………...I wash my hands with soap and water smothering the taps with the soap as well. Takes me blooming ages, but worth it if it works.
To answer your question though, Spreckly I have no idea how long to leave things before the virus is supposed to have gone. I did read somewhere that after a cruise ship had been cleaned when tested 17 hours later there was still evidence of the virus on hard surfaces, but not sure if that was totally true, one off or whatever.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

We rip open envelopes and tip out the contents without touching them, then bin the envelope and wash our hands.
Mail that has come from banks etc is printed, folded and packed automatically so very unlikely that the contents will have been touched.
I'm not aware of the official time limit either because there's been such a lot of speculation from various TV medics, none of whom can actually know.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thank you for your replies.