Hearing problem

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Hearing problem

Post by Spreckly »

Oh dear, my ears have blocked up, which normally are syringed every four to six months. Each week I put drops in, and lately have upped the dosage. I found out today, that (as I expected), no ear syringing is being done at my surgery, not only that, but they are stopping doing it full stop.

If I totally lose my hearing, I am unable to use the telephone, which almost happened before they were last sorted.

On a walk through the village last week I spoke to a lady whose husband was in the same boat, and had been recommended to by a medical ear cleaner by his GP. He has used the same, and brought me the details last week. Apparently he has had some success with it. So I have ordered one from Amazon, which should arrive this Thursday.

I am rather cautious, thoughts of an ear infection or worse...

I know that I can get my ears sorted privately, but what happened to the cradle to the grave?

Has anyone else got this miserable problem?
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: Hearing problem

Post by Gwenoakes »

Yes, Spreckly I have had ear probs/wax for quite some years now including incessant itching when it gets bad.
Our surgery stopped ear syringing almost a year ago, but I found a lovely lady who does feet and ears. I heard about her in the hairdressers, so she has been coming for months now...…….every 6 weeks for my toe nails and whenever my ear problem arises, but as we all know it is a no, no at the moment, so slowly getting more deaf.
She did tell me that I had the smallest ear canals she had ever seen in an adult and that some children have bigger, I was not sure what to make of that tbh.
She charges £20 for feet and £25 for ears and comes to the house.
Apparently she works part time for the NHS as a nurse and deals with diabetic patients ears and feet, so I feel she has a lot of experience and she has certainly worked wonders on me.
In the past I have tried the ear candles with some success.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I'm having this trouble too. I have hearing aids which I find uncomfortable to wear so only put them in to watch Countdown or talk to family over the gate at the moment. But don't find them helpful for the phone. Are there any tips for phone use?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I have no idea about hearing aids, Mo not got that far...………..yet.
I do have what I think is tinnitus (poss sp) although never asked at the doctors as everything I have read says there is nothing can be done. Lots of swooshing, whistling and other sounds which are pretty much constant now.
wendy

Post by wendy »

My hearing has never been that good and I do have a hearing aid for my right ear.
But don't wear it now,as I don't see that many people nowadays .
I have suffered from tinnitus,but strangely, having the hearing aid stopped it.
The ear wax I have is very dry and I can hear it falling to each side if I move my head.
I have found the best stuff to relieve it is called UNPLUGGED by earigate.
I get it online.
I have never liked the idea of syringing, too harsh. But used to use ear candles.
I cannot use them on my own though.
Best stuff I have had is Unplugged
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Thanks for that, Wendy. I will have a look on line and try it out. )t'
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I have a hearing aid, managed to find my spare batteries today! I haven't worn it for some time but decided to use it again. It tends to make my ear itch after wearing it for several days, and I find it difficult on the phone as the receiver presses it down into my ear.

I phoned the audiology department today, and was told the same thing, they do not syringe, and to go to Specsavers. Phoned Specsavers, and though they are not syringing at present due to lockdown, they will contact me when they are opening up again. The cost is £50 yike* yike* which I find steep. It would cost me possibly £150 a year to have my ears syringed.

Today my ear cleaner equipment arrived from Amazon. It is a rubber balloon, with integral spout which has a hole in the end. I have had a go with it, it hasn't helped my tinnitus, but today my hearing was not quite so bad anyway. I rather think the olive oil is starting to work.

My TV sound has been on full for several days, but today I can hear on a lower setting.
Wendy, I will look into Unplugged. Never tried candling.