Not a good day yesterday

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Not a good day yesterday

Post by Gwenoakes »

I ordered some towels on line from Dunelm for click and collect. After the order had gone through they emailed me to say the face cloths had to be picked up from the shop, not really what I had wanted, but...…….
So yesterday because Terry was rained off we went to pick them up. I got out of the car in the carpark and began to walk over to Dunelm. On the way I was aware of a couple coming from my left at an angle which would have brought me too close to them, so I waisted a few second, then went forwards and tripped right over the huge kerb that was painted dayglo yellow and fell into the middle of the road with a huge thump.
All I could think of was that no one would want to help me, so scrabbled for my phone in my coat to ring Terry who was in the car, then everyone crowded round me and a lady from Dunelm came out with a wheelchair!!
I was eventually into the wheelchair and into Dunelm. My shoulder and elbow on my left was killing me.
In the few second before I fell all I can remember thinking was do not hit your head, do not break your glasses and do not hit your bad knee...………….how stooped is that?
Anyway I ended up at one of the hospitals and they thought I had either dislocated or broken my shoulder. After waiting hours on my own with Terry outside I had an xray and nothing was broken. My elbow was cleaned up as it had a nasty graze on it and my arm was put in a sling and home I came.
I am amazed because I went to bed at just after 9p.m. and more or less slept right through with no painkillers and got up this morning, not a single bruise in sight and apart from the odd twinge and ache I am perfectly ok. I doubt I would be as lucky as that again. My coat sleeve was shredded.
The good news in all this is that they told me I have no sign of arthritis in either my shoulder or elbow, so a a good thing to know.
Anyone else got off so lightly when having fallen?
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Re: Not a good day yesterday

Post by albertajune »

Goodness Gwen you don't do things by halves. You was unlucky to fall but so lucky that no real damage was done body wise. I hope it won't be too long before you are feeling more comfitable. Wishing you a speedy recovery and take care.xx
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Glad you feel OK now. I know how shaken up you feel after a fall. {hug}

I was doing a Burns Night gig in January, an tripped over a low kerb. The movement sensor light only worked if you approached the door from a different direction and although the front steps had white painted edges that kerb in what I'd thought was a flat car park didn't (there was a little pavement leading to some of the parking places).
Yes funny what thoughts go through your mind. I staggered up, found the front door went in. Then saw myself in a mirror and thought that I'd forgotten to put my glasses back on when I got changed. Then realised that I must have had them on to drive and read the satnav.
It was quite hard to find them as the light kept going out as I moved towards where I fell. I'd been hurrying and gone flat, bumped my head against the wheel of a car. The glasses had fallen off and were tucked behind the wheel. Had some grazes and 2 lovely black eyes. But I was very relieved that my glasses were unbroken, I would have been stuck otherwise. 40 miles from home. The show must go on, but maybe I wasn't quite as lively calling the dances that evening.
That was my last calling booking, wonder when people will be organising dances again. We had weddings and fund-raisers cancelled. Maybe it's time for me to retire anyway.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

{hug} People instinctively react without thinking when they see someone has been hurt. Luckily nothing was broken - too often a fall seems more traumatic than the actual injury but still it sounded nasty so please do take it easy for a few days. I once did a spectacular fall when walking the dog (over 20 years ago) and thought I'd broken my ankle - I was walking down a steep banking and watching the dog at the same time (she was off lead so needed to keep an eye on her) so I didn't see it when my foot landed in a hole (like a rabbit hole) but with the momentum of going downhill, I heard an almighty crack as I went falling forward ... and the landing was a lot further to fall than if I'd been walking on level ground. I can remember rolling about on the ground lamenting and cursing for several seconds after (there was no-one around to help because it was very early in the morning before I got ready for work / I had come in the car so how was I going to drive / I had the dog with me) when I stopped and realized that there wasn't anything wrong with me. No broken bones / sprains not even a scratch. Even the loud crack must have just been a joint popping. I felt rather silly afterward.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Thanks, guys for your well wishes.
I had to move because I was blocking every blooming car exiting and no one could get out. I felt a right plonker, but I did get my face flannels. I was absolutely adamant that that fall was not going to be for nothing. LOL
The ironic thing is I still hung onto the piece of paper with the order number on.
I do tend to have an iron grip of whatever is in my hand. When I tumbled years ago but in that instance it was a dog poo bag that was full that I squeezed the life out of much to my husbands disgust when he said give me your hand...………...I don't think he has still been able to forgive me. {rofwl} I could not ignore my husbands request.........could I? {rofwl}
I am a little more stiff and sore now than this morning, but I have been taking Arnica and I believe it may have helped.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

lancashire lass wrote:{hug} I can remember rolling about on the ground lamenting and cursing for several seconds after (there was no-one around to help because it was very early in the morning before I got ready for work / I had come in the car so how was I going to drive / I had the dog with me)
Yes, strange the thoughts that go through your mind. I remember thinking as I sat by the side of the motorway central reservation next to our car on it's roof, "we are probably going to be too late to go to that dance by the time this is sorted out".

Take it easy Gwen
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
wendy

Post by wendy »

Oh my goodness. What a bit of luck that nothing was serious.
It can happen so easily.
Unfortunately each time I have gone down, I have broken a bone or two, so you were really lucky.
I have to say all my falls, trips etc . were aided and abetted by Dave, the dog. Since he has gone. I have been accident free. )grin2(
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

No dog involved in my topple, just me, so cannot blame anyone else.
I have one small bruise on my elbow that is all, so I must be a tough old stick after all.
wendy

Post by wendy »

{hug} {hug}
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Poor you Gwen, I hope you go on all right, and have no more pain. It is a shock, isn't it. I tripped over a kerb in the dark a few years since, bashed my left knee, scraped my wedding ring, and lost my glasses, which were undamaged. I tripped over a paver and nearly went through the side wall of our caravan, damaging the same knee again. We do tend to fall easily at our age, don't we, and it is a shock, so best wishes and a {hug}
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I will have to learn to take more water with my drink, Spreckly.
Still OK, just the odd twinge, but think I had those before I fell and yes I am more accident prone the older I get unfortunately.
I am always aware of where Teddy is in the garden, cannot be doing with him behind me. Very conscious that he could bowl into me from behind especially.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

I hope your aches and pains are easing, Gwen. I think we've all had moments like those. The pride can take a bit of a bashing as well as the bones, but your fall sounds quite spectacular.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Thanks, FR.
I am OK thank goodness.